Cellaring Esoterica Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tony Malerich, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

For those who cellar Esoterica - the big ticket blends and otherwise - do you store in the 8 oz bags, or is it better to open them up and jar the tobacco?

2. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Tony...did you score? :)

3. krusty

krusty Active Member

The few I've gotten in the bulk foil bags, such as HV for example, straight to Mason!

4. Tony Malerich

Not the "big ticket blends." I got a couple bags of Brighton for a very reasonable price.

psquared likes this.
  5. Mr Doody

Mr Doody Member

safest best is a jar. the big bags of ET have a plastic tray inside that holds the strips of baccy. during shipping, travel, etc. the plastic tray pointy parts can wear away at the bag - creating holes. file under "better safe than sorry" IMO.

6. Tony Malerich

Did you have an unfortunate experience here, or just a good observation? This one doesn't seem to have any liners and it has a few years on it already, but I think I'll repack in jar. Besides, that gives me a reason to smoke some of it!

psquared likes this.
  7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I jar anything bulk. Partly for safer storage (just make sure there's no leaf between the rubber seal on the lid and the glass) and partly because I'm probably going to sneak a pinch from time to time. I hope someone proves that introducing some small amount of oxygen a couple times a year improves the aging process, because that's the treatment most of my stored stuff is going to get anyway. I leave the jars sealed for as long as possible.

PipeWife and EmperorGix like this.
  8. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Insert 8-oz bag into vacuum seal bag. Seal it. Done.

ravnhaus likes this.
  9. Johnny

Johnny Member

I bought one bag of Stonehaven a couple years ago and transferred it right into jars. I've heard the bags tend to have small holes in them and didn't want to risk my baccy

10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've been lucky enough to score three 8 oz bags of Stonhaven over the last year or so. I opened all three and stacked those lovely flakes neatly into a mason jar. Theres about 5 ozs for smoking in a jar, and over a pound of flakes aging in a large Mason that will remain unopened for 5 years. That's my goal, anyway.

Jar it!

11. Tony Malerich

So double bagging it is sufficient? If I ever acquire a vacuum sealer...

12. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I am not claiming it's correct or right, but it works for me. I have evidence ;-)

ravnhaus and Tony Malerich like this.
  13. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Found this on tobaccocellar.com

Cellaring in foil baggies

at 9:58 AM [​IMG]

Tins, jars, mostly used for cellaring. What about the foil baggies, such as Esoterica Tobacciana's 8oz sacks? Keep in mind, these are vacuum sealed plastic and foil bags, not your run of the mill ziplock baggie.

Some discussion has taken place on boards, and apparently bags have survived several years of aging. I dissected a Stonehaven bag and posted on Puff about it:

"I was curious, and unlike the feline that met its untimely end due to it, I attempted to disassemble an Esoterica foil baggie.

The other discussion(s) about storage media had me thinking about this. Will such a bag really work for aging? Anecdotal accounts suggest so, and a post that I read some time ago by GLP suggested that several layers were used in these foil bags to provide the same air/moisture proofing as a tin or jar.

After I finished moving the contents of this baggie into mason jars, I cut out a chunk of the baggie, took a razor blade and attempted to separate the layers. Wasn't easy, this stuff is well night bulletproof.

I wish I had a good macro lens for the camera to take pics, but I don't, so here is a text only analysis.

There are indeed several layers. I found three. The inside is an almost clear plastic film, I would guess a mylar sheet 3mil thick (I've worked with these before in a previous life/career), its more rigid than a ziplock bag. Laminated to it is a metallic film, feels like a very thin sheet of aluminum foil (like the stuff you have in the kitchen) but it may be metallized nylon (like party balloons). On top of that (the outside of the bag) appears to be another laminant though I am unable to separate it (too damn thin). This is the classic yellow-ish color of the bag. The printing may be inside the top layer, I was unable to scratch the letters or the yellow off, I'm thinking reverse printed plastic film laminated onto the metallic foil. Or the top two layers may be a classic party balloon structure (one piece).

Mylar is used for airtight seals among other things. Party balloons (metallized nylon) are also somewhat airtight (they do go flat eventually, but I suspect it is the seal that gives on balloons). Does this combination work to keep both O2 and H20 molecules contained/isolated? Do we have a scientist in the house?"

14. Tony Malerich

Thanks for the input everyone. It looks like the Esoterica packaging is pretty solid, though I definitely get the concern of it being relatively easy to puncture. I went ahead and cracked open the two bags of Brighton. One was like a tightly packed brick with little air, the other a good but looser in the bag. Both, though, were still incredibly moist and aromatic (dated 7/07), though the "brick" seemed a bit wetter. I tossed both together and repacked in three big jars, two back in the cellar, one on the "next in line" shelf and a bit to smoke right now.

15. Capt

Capt Active Member

I wouldn't chance it, I always jar it up.

Snake likes this.
  16. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jarred my Cardiff right
    after I opened it.

17. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I bought a few pounds of Penzance awhile back and had it in a closet just in the sealed factory packaging. I0t wasn't long and the whole closet smelled like Latakia. If the smell is getting out so is the moisture and outside air is getting in. So... I wouldn't trust them. Jar it up just to be certain.

18. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

And the problem is... ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.