1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Cellaring on a budget...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KleinToit, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

So I can get a couple of brands relatively cheap and were wondering whether or not it would be worth aging and cellaring? Can't get great brands here too often so its between:

-Mac Baren
    -Borkum Riff
    -Amphora
    -Hollands House

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with these?

PS: Cant find any tins, so it would be pouches going strait into canning jars...

PipeSimmo likes this.
  2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Hard to say. Buy a pouch of each and determine if you like them enough to cellar them.

I realize that probably isn't much help, but cellaring is pointless if you don't like the blends in question. Figure out what you like first and then decide if A) it fits into your budget or B) if you can stretch your budget to accomodate what you like best.

3. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I like all of them, was just wondering if these blends would age well (being cheap blends)?

4. dmkerr

Ah, ok. Sorry, I misunderstood.

I can't imagine the last 3 doing much differently with age. There might be some very subtle differences. Straight burleys just don't change that much.

Of the Mac B's, which ones do you like? I've gotten good reports of the benefits of aging some of them. Personally, I think Symphony does rather well and I'm expecting Old Dark Fired to do even better.

KleinToit likes this.
  5. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

We have lots of amphora in canada and im sure you can cellar it no problem.

6. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

Yeah, I should have explained a little better in the OP.
    Haven't seen those two here yet, but I like the Plumcake, Mixture Scotish blend, and Modern Mixture in the mornings.
    I really like variety and I am currently searching for a reliable online retailer that would ship to South Africa. The nearest real tabocconist is about a 160km (100miles) from my home and even they dont stock too many different tobacco's..

7. dmkerr

I'm not familiar with Modern Mixture, but I would think Plumcake and Scottish Blend would age quite well. Based on what I know about the constituent tobaccos in both blends, I would think Plumcake would get slightly softer and rounder. I think both are good choices if you like them now.

KleinToit likes this.
  8. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I think they call Modern Mix the 'Danish Blend'. Thanks for the info, I think I will get a couple of pouches and put them down and see what happens. I have just found the Aging.pdf and will read that tonight, maybe get some tips on location an such.

Thanks for the reply! KleinToit

9. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Amphora red is quite good. I may have to go get a pouch

KleinToit likes this.
  10. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I mix the Amphora with Rum&Maple, strong but good!

11. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Navy Flake is my favorite from MacBaren and it cellars well.

KleinToit and PipeSimmo like this.
  12. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

MacBaren should certainly have good stuff. I'm leas familiar with the others. Stokkebye's blends (if you like their VA/Pers and such) are often good for cellaring on a budget. I'm also find of some new Newminster blends (though they're new enough I can't know yet if they cellar long term well - 6 months have been good though). Generally it's more the type of tobacco than the blender that matters. VA and burley are some of your best. English and Lat type blends tend to mellow with age (which may or may not be a good thing).

KleinToit likes this.
  13. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

As far as I can tell, the only thing really worth aging is tobacco with a high Va content. I have never heard of any other type of tobacco benefitting from any aging. If you are in South Africa, I have read of some local straight Vas on TR that sound delicious that are not available in the states that would likely age great.

Dragonslayer and KleinToit like this.
  14. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I smoke a couple of local blends, IMHO not as good as the imported stuff and I have come to doubt some (not all) of the local blends 'integrity' (burley is not always burley if you know what I mean...) having worked on a tobacco farm for a while. There are a few gems that I have already packed away but most are low quality, very little flavour, very high N... more bang for your buck is probably a good way of explaining the general Saffa attitude towards tobbacco growing. I like Va/Per blends and will cellar mostly that. Lat for me, is also good on its own but I gather from some posts here that its more an enjoy imediately tabacco, and lose some character in cellaring.

Eric Pierson likes this.
  15. Eric Pierson

I have had some aged Vapers and they are great. I assume the great taste is coming more from the VA than the Per, but I am unsure. I created a thread wondering out loud about the effect of age on perique and had no response, so apparently it is a mystery. :) I have heard that both Lat and Burley are not good for aging. Idk about orientals. As to Lat, I tend to like lighter doses so aging for me, may actually be a benefit. I also wonder about burley, after all, Aged Burley Flake is delicious and at least its name leads one to believe their is some sort of aging element.

Very interesting getting your perspective on the S African tobacco offerings. I was always wondering whether any were worth the effort of obtaining, you have successfully put me back on track of buying more easily obtainable tobaccos in quantities I may never be able to finish anyway. :)

Dragonslayer and KleinToit like this.
  16. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

We have got some good tobacco, but you have to know where to look. you guys are fortunate with the variety you have got. I have been looking at some websites with an eye on importing some myself, but with shipping and taxes it will probly be too expensive (in the range of 3 to 4 times what the local tobaccos cost). I'm starting to think I may as well keep to what I have been smoking until an oportunity presents itself (have got some rich family that go to Dubai once or twice a year) and it would be great if I can maybe turn some average SA tobaccos into something better with some aging... But thanks for the advice, think I will be concentrating on Va for my first experiment...:toast:

17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I can attest to Scottish ageing very well . It smooths out quite a bit further and it flavor gets a little deeper ! It's freakin wonderful ! Plumcake would age fine as well , I would imagine . The Amphora regular will change a bit ... those Burley type blends don't go over board with aging but they do smooth out and get a little darker in flavor , which is very nice , and a flavor you only get with age . In all honesty , I would try to cellar them all and bulk up on as much as you can with out pissing off the wife .. because the taxes are never going to go down on tobacco and if you have an opportunity to get some at a good price , theres no time like the present

18. Eric Pierson

Great sage advice here! Very mayoral. :)

KleinToit and ruffinogold like this.
  19. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

Thats been my thinking the last couple of weeks, economics of scale in a very smokeable form. Thanks for the advice, you guys are the nicest bunch!

ruffinogold likes this.
  20. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey keeps well in the 7oz cans.

KleinToit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.