Cellaring OTC Aromatics

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I generally don't like aromatic tobies, but there are a few that my sweet tooth really gets to craving. All are OTC's, and these blends are Cherry Blend (Middleton), Price Albert Soft Vanilla, Kentucky Club Continental, and Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. I've heard that aromatics will loose their aromatic after a while in the cellar. Has anybody tried cellaring the above mentioned blends = as in transferring them from their tubs to cellaring jars? If so, have you noticed any appreciable loss of their aromatic quality over the years?

2. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have noticed that after a few months in the bag, the aeros that I have loose the aero value...maybe it's just me

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

My experience (limited to a degree) has been ziplocks, plastic storage tubs, and acrylic storage canisters all loose flavor over time by varying degrees. I crammed some Lane 1Q and some Blue Ribbon in jars two years ago, and they have not lost their flavor. I am thinking glass is the way to go. Someone with a decades old cellar will have to comment on older stuff than that...

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Use Mason jars and make sure it seals and it will last a long time. It's when it dries out it loses it's flavor. I am smoking some 12 year old W O Larsen Special Blend no80 right now and it just got better because of the VA base.

5. snowman

snowman Member

I have a number of diffrent blends such as Aros,Burlys,English and others.Some I have had stored in,Mason jars sence 2006. And Its as good as the day I stored it.Like, Strongirish said just be sure its sealed good in jars.

Alan.

6. RTOdhner

Good deal! My cellar list keeps getting wider and wider, and deeper and deeper. Is CAD (Cellaring Acquisition Disorder) a recognized affliction?

And speaking of CAD, my pound of MacB London Blend just came in the mail today... along with my tin of MacB Mixture Flake. I loves me some mail order! :bing:

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've started putting current smokes in babyfood or 4 oz wide mouth jars. I stuff the rest in 16 or 32 oz wide mouth jars, thinking that I will tap into these less; kind of a trickle down.

If you have a 32 oz jar for your poundage, try putting it in the dishwasher. Yank it out while its still steaming hot, with your toby already sitting close & ready to go. Dry the jar, stuff the toby and slap the lid on tight. In a short time, the lid will suck down, letting you know it is vacuum sealed for long term storage. (Learned most of this from Will).

8. RTOdhner

I use 4oz jars for samples and left-overs, and 8oz jars for cellaring. The 8oz jars hold 20z of toby, which allows me to more easily rotate my tobies. I tend to get bored with a blend after about 2oz on any given run, so cellaring in the 8oz jars allows me to keep an interesting rotation going. I generally keep four jars of toby going at a time: One breakfast blend, one flake blend, one Latakia blend, and one Burley blend. 2oz of each makes for a nice rotation.

My little man-nook smells like an old time B&M, and I love it. I'm keeping all my samples and left overs on the bottom shelf of the top half my curio cabinet along with my briar pipes on the shelves above. All my cellared tobies are in the bottom half. I figure that in a few months I'm going to have to get a dedicated cellaring cabinet, but for now I'm good to go. I just can't believe it took me so long to see the light when it comes to cellaring.

BradNTX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.