1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Cellaring Pouches

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

As a rule I don't like aros, but there are a few that I really like: SWRA, PA Soft Vanilla, Middleton Cherry Blend, Blenders Choice Black Cavendish, and Three Stars China Black. However, I don't like them enough to want to buy a whole can worth - maybe just a few pouches to have on hand for when that urge hits me. So, I was wondering: How long these will tobaccos stay fresh in an unopened pouch?

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I think the answer is a pretty long time, but safest bet is always just to jar them.

3. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Those things have enough PG that I think you will be good for a few years but if you are going to keep them longer then I would jar them.

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

BTW- Sounds like you do like aros! :) I know what you mean, though. I almost never smoke them, but I still really enjoy a good aro from time to time. Also, on your question about shelf-life, I wanted to add that it depends too on the pouch. Middleton's pouches are actually sort of sealed up and seem to have a healthy helping of humectant. SWR and a lot of 'generic' pouches though aren't actually sealed, just folded up. I have purchased a dried out pouch of SWR before.

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I have a few bail-top jars stuffed with entire bags of PA Soft Vanilla (bag and all!). Also have MacBaren pound bags of MB HH Mature Va and Vint Syrian. What's important is an airtight seal and a vessel that does not taint the flavor or performance of your leaf.

Carry On.....wayward son! ;)

Ed
    Puff

P.s. Also have a large 2L canning jar stuffed with packets of Solani Silver Flake. I believe I can stuff 9 in there but only 7 are in the jar atm.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

... and there'll be peace when I am done
    I'll lay my weary head to rest (with a pipe full of SWRA stuck in my pie hole)
    and I won't cry no more

7. Jay

Jay Active Member

I have a pouch of CBW that has resided in the side pocket of my pickup's door for 18 months. I checked it a few months ago and I think the moisture level is at the almost smokeable stage.

So the answer may be close to how many licks does it take to get to the center of a blow pop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.