1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

cellaring question: repack huge tin in jars now or later?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by skippymchaggis, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

May 25, 2011
    i've been working on adding some depth to the cellar. i've got some blends that i like that i can get in 1 pound tins for a large discount over the price for a pound of 50g/2oz. size tins. i can't normally get this stuff in bulk.

the 1 pound tin is definitely cellarable. but i can't smoke a whole pound of stuff very fast at all. so when i open it, i'll have to repackage it in smaller jars. i know that doing this will alter the aging process significantly. what i'm trying to decide is, should i get the big tin, and immediately repack it? or just let it sit as is, and repack when i get to it and just enjoy the experience at that point?

i guess my goal would be consistency in the flavors and trying to stay true to the 2oz tin size flavors, as that's what i'm used to, while saving a little money in the process (actually it can be quite a lot).

should my thought process be: the 1 lb. tin was recently tinned, so opening it now and repacking it in jars will have a negligible affect on the overall aging process
    -as well as-
    it will age slower in a 1 lb. tin compared to a 2 oz. tin due to volume issues, so repacking small early on will also help it stay closer to an aged 2 oz. tin in flavor?

or is there something i'm missing?
  2. Zfog

Zfog Member

May 15, 2011
    I would just jar it up now, in about 4 jars. So like you said, you can open one and not disturb the aging process of the whole lot.
  3. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    If your plan is to age this tobacco for a year or more, I would just leave it in the tin. When you do pop the tin then, you can separate it into smaller containers. Sounds like you're trying to build your cellar. Stashing a number of these larger tins is a good (and economical) way to do this. Put a bunch away....and forget about them! Buy the smaller 2oz/50g tins to smoke now.
  4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I'm with T-Bear. Jarring it down the road when you finally decide to crack the tin shouldn't cause any problems.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.