Cellaring Stonehaven/Penzance

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by PipeMeister, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

Hi Pipesters

I just recv'd my shipment of a bag each of Esoterica's Penzance and Stonehaven.
    The bag is some type of aluminum sealed enclosure, seems very moist by the touch.
    Can I leave them as is for cellaring (I hope to stash them for at least 5-8 years before smoking).
    Or should I transfer them to the tried and true glass sealed tobacco jars.

If possible, I would prefer not having to move them into a different storage media, mainly because the packaging as is takes up very little space in my cellar.If I start using Jars my cellar will exponentially explode in size (thus allowing the wife to notice, making my feeble attempts at non-disclosure mute).

At the end of the day I want whats best for the tobby (not my sanity) :lolu: , so let me know your thoughts.

Cheers - PipeMeister

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I jar these tobaks, 100%.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Mason Jars. Don't take a chance on a foil bag. ANYTHING that is not in a peel off topped tin that's going to be kept that long needs to go in a Mason jar.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Smoke it now...no jars to buy, no cellar for your wife to discover. When you factor in Mayan doomsday 2012, you'll see my conclusion is quite logical.

...or jar it for the cockroaches later on...your call.

5. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

I recall reading somewhere that roaches prefer Captain Black White or Sail Green, mind you beggars can't be choosers. :bling:

PM

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Ahhh....that is what I tasted in the Half & Half! :yikes: :startle:

7. Mington

You said the c word.
    <hehehehehe>

8. Major

Major Member

Sure would like to try that stonehaven out. But alas...... I put it on my TAD list too late.

I'm so depressed :(

How often do they run production on that?

9. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

Well, I was "looking" for the past year and recv'd an email from Iwan Ries (Chicago) that they had stock, I responded in minutes but it was sold out shortly after.
    I think luck has alot to do with it!

That being said, I would try contacting a vendor and have them place you on their "watch" list, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to send you out some once it's back in stock. Mind you, it's on Ebay for the low price of 76$ US (and going up!) :startle:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Esoterica-Stone...165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a63fdd6dd

- PM

10. sounds7

sounds7 Member

I took Moos advice and Jarred mine. I will say that the Stonehaven was in perfect condition when I opened the two year old aluminum bag. So it will keep good for a while in those bags.

11. PipeMeister

PipeMeister Member

2 Years, well that's good to know! At least I have some time to find the perfect Mason jars!

BTW, that Ebay link mysteriously disappeared, but here's another one, only 120$

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sealed-Esoteric...231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a640be0df

Cheers - PM

12. yinyang

120$ asking price...ridiculous. I can get four tubs of CBW and a case of malt liquor for that. Yeah, the beer would be gone in a day, but I'd have enough CBW to last me for eternity (and beyond).

13. yinyang

Cellar?

14. Mington

Rhymes with sock.
    :roflmao: :0laugh:

PS...I just looked at our Groups... You are Moderator and I am a "Member".
    (I know what I said. heh)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.