Cellaring Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by caleb442, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caleb442

caleb442 Member

So this may be a stupid question but..... when cellaring tobacco in mason jars, is it necessary to heat the jars like you would with other items, or is it sufficient to just screw on the lid? I'm new to the idea of cellaring, but my stash is ever growing, hence the mason jars. Thanks in advance.

2. erickghint

erickghint Member

Screw the lid on and let 'em sit. You don't need to actually get rid of the air inside. It's needed to help the tobacco age.

3. woody

woody Admin Admin

The way I understand it is that you don't want a vacuum. So like Erick said, just screw the lid on.

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

When you can, you aren't creating a very good vacuum anyway - more a reduced pressure. You heat the contents to sterilize them, and when you put the lid on the now sterile contents the air and water vapor in the air space in the jar are hot. As it the contents cool (and the air shrinks, and the water goes back to being liquid water), the exterior air pressure becomes higher than the interior, but there is no serious vaccuum in there.

Your toby goes in jars to keep it at a constant, stable humidity level - that's all.

5. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I just make sure the jars are clean and dry, then fill them and screw the lid on tight. There's some in my cellar that's close to 10 yrs old, and it's just fine. I would avoid heating the jars/tobacco as heat is NOT a friend of stored toby......

6. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

We had a pretty extensive debate on the subject a couple months ago, you can read what everyone said here.

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I'm in the just screw on the lid camp.

8. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Don't seal it too good. You may want to dip in to it!

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I sit my clean, tightened jars in a hot water 'bath', below lid level for a few minutes. Don't know the rationale, other than to create a tighter seal.

10. Thom1000

Thom1000 Member

To add my n00b question...
    My local shopping centre doesn't have much in the way of preserving jars, particularly ones that I can fit my hand into unless I want to buy a 2-litre jar (not super-cheap!), but I can find those flip-top jars with a little rubber ring around the rim, similar to: (but cheaper version, probably)
    [​IMG]

How fussy would I need to be with the seal to store it? Or would a jar like that be alright if it was my in-use jar (the opening is just right for 2oz of OTC, and my hand :P), and stick to the better jars for cellaring?

And now... yet another newb question!
    If I got one of the bigger preserving jars, and have my toby still in its snap-lock bags, but put 2 or 3 snaplock bags into the preserving jar, will the flavours contaminate each other?

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I do that, no worries...

Just don't mix aromatics and latakia blends in the same jar!

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

For short term storage, those jars would be fine. I wouldn't trust them long term though, but that's just me. I had a couple fail after a year or so when the ring dried out...baccy got pretty dry. I tend to stick with the Ball/Mason jars that have the ring and flat style of lid. Even after 6-8 years, the tobacco in mine is as fresh and moist as the day I put it in them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.