1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Cellaring Toby

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AK Kilted Guy, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

I know a lot of you guys cellar your toby. Is there any tobaccos out there that don't need it as much? Flakes? Certain Blends?

I just ordered 4 tins and am wondering if I should cellar it, or leave it tinned until I plan on dipping into it.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

If it's an unopened tin, I just leave it in the tin, if it's bulk, jar it.

shadow, Stonewall, 50rayj and 3 others like this.
  3. Capt

Capt Active Member

What Mark said.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I am all for what Mark said ^^^^. Once it's opened, throw it in a jar.
    One think I did learn was that some pouches and the Sutliff tins should be jarred when you get the chance.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I agree about Sutliff blends if it's going to be a good while before you open it, or if it will take a real long time to smoke it, but I have several tins of Sutliff blends open now that have been open a while, and the tobacco is still real moist, but that may have something to do with the humidity here in Georgia.

IrishRover likes this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

For me it depends . If it's a blend that I have open .. then I leave it in a tin . If not , I pop it and smoke some .. then jar it .

Puff The Magic and Mark w4mms like this.
  7. Morse

Morse Active Member

Cellaring does not necessarily mean removing it from a tin and putting it in a jar. As long as the seal on the tin is good , you can leave the tobacco in there for years - lots of cellars are full of sealed tins. Once the tin is open though, putting it in a mason jar is your best bet.

8. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

Where in GA ?

Mark w4mms likes this.
  9. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Somewhere south of Bummphuc Egypt:beck:

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Regardless of type (flake or otherwise), just keep the unopened blends in their tins because as long as the seal is good they will last for years that way. As for opened tins, I find it's kind of hit or miss - sometimes the blend will stay good as long as I'm smoking it on a daily basis, while another blend might go stale on me before I can finish it. So, I think it's always best to just jar it once it's been opened. Wally World sells nice looking glass storage jars for about $3.50, and that's a really small (and smart) investment to keep your expensive tobacco from going stale on you.

11. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I live in Bremen, about 40 miles West of Atlanta, and about 12 miles from the Alabama line.

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

You can also buy some jars that are wide enough so you can put the entire tin into the jar. I do this when I've opened the tin already. Some jars can take up to 5 tins, I just make sure they're all english, or all aromatics, etc. so they don't ghost each other.

13. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I usually open an Latakia blend & jar it a few days before I'm going to smoke it. For some reason they seem better that way. Every thing else gets jarred within a day or so after it's opened. I have several unopened tins that I still consider "cellard" . The only blends I leave in there original container after opening are the OTC blends. I have a pouch of carter hall I threw in a desk drawer about a year ago & its still moist with all that pg in it.

14. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

I suppose I may have worded my question incorrectly. Aging the tobacco would be more of what I am talking about. Taking it from the tin, jarring it, thus allowing additional air to come into contact with the tobacco, thereby aging it.

15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

IMHO, the air in the tin is already
    full of ambient tobacco notes, and
    will 'infuse' the blend even further
    if left there. Adding outside air to
    the toby will dilute the blend.

16. Morse

Morse Active Member

AK KG,

I must admit that when I got back into pipes this whole notion of aging tobaccos was new and something I found extremely interesting. With regard to your initial question on which tobaccos benefit the most from aging, I include a quote below from GL Pease. The short answer is "Virginias" but as with many things it is complicated and I am by no means well versed in all of this.

The only other thing I will mention before turning you over to the experts both below and on PSF is that tins are not devoid of oxygen and so the aging process will continue in the tin.

http://www.glpease.com/FAQ.html See the section in this FAQ called "On the Aging of Tobaccos"

The links below were things I found useful when I started reading up on this. You will notice some mention in one of the threads of heating up the jars - there is some mixed opinion on this. A lot of people just clean the jars and seal them up.

http://thepiperack.blogspot.com/2009/01/tobacco-cellar-what.html (I liked the photo in this one....I have a LONG way to go :) )
    http://www.pipesandcigars.com/agpito.html
    http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=28
    http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=65

I hope this is the kind of information you were looking for

DWB232 and AK Kilted Guy like this.
  17. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

I know Bremen. Past by there several times hauling loads to various places. Maybe we should get together for a smoke sometime.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  18. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Works for me. I work graveyard shift, and I'm usually up, and available from 5P.M. until around 9P.M. and anytime in the evenings on Wednesday or Thursday.

19. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

Next time I'm down that way I'll holler at you.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  20. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Looking forward to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.