Cellaring with C&D

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tenthgate, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Do you guys trust the Cornell and diehl tins for Cellaring long term?

Or the G.L. Pease one's for that matter?

2. Zfog

Zfog Member

I do absolutely.

3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Greg Pease touts them as being specifically suited for long-term cellaring. We'll have to wait forty years to see if he's wrong, but I believe him :)

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

BTW- Someone correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe the C&D and GLP tins are exactly the same. I think C&D does all the 'bottling' for GLP.

5. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Mmm they sure are similar to that degree, yea :)

6. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

For cellaring, sure. If you open them though, the plastic lid isn't that great of a seal so it will dry out over time. So my rule of thumb for the C&D tins is that if it's going to take longer than a month to smoke the tin, transfer it out.

7. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Yes.

8. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Thanks all :)

9. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I was wonder how long I could trust the Tina once opened. Thanks!

10. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

That one is totally a personal judgment call, and it can depend a bit on the conditions (ambient humidity & temp) it's stored in. I've smoked from tins that have been open for nearly a year before, though that's probably not ideal. The tobacco won't die or anything, but it will get progressively drier, and some flavors tend to fade. That can be a good or a bad thing depending on the tobacco.
    Also, in my experience, the plastic-lidded tins like C&D or McC tend to re-seal and stay fresh longer than the coin-pop flats like Dunhill.

PS- I still agree with Tim though that jars are the way to go for medium-term storage. They're cheap and cool looking and seal better than any opened tin.

11. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I've got some tins I don't plan on opening until they're at least five years old. Not concerned with long time cellaring.

OBD.

12. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

When I visited C&D before I deployed, I asked Craig about this and he assured me stated his tins were ideal for cellaring because they were air tight and the metal was internally coated to prevent oxidation. I can attest that they are indeed air-tight, as every one of my tins is bulging due to the 5,000 feet of elevation change they experienced between Morganton, NC USA and AFG

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

True. These are food-grade containers. Cellar with confidence.

14. Redone

Redone Member

Shoot..I'm smokin all of mine..life's too short :D

15. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

I don't recall exactly where to point people, but Greg Pease made a comment about how you can extend the working time of his tins with the plastic lid once opened. He mentioned taking a sheet of aluminum foil, folding it in half, and placing that folded sheet over the top of the tin and then pushing the plastic lid down over that to seal it. It's not "airtight" as far as leaving it for years, but I recall he mentioned something about 6 months of good storage time with the tin that way, as long as you're careful to refresh the sheet of foil every once in a while, as the compression/crimping from putting the lid on and off will weaken and thin the foil, thereby weakening the seal.

I think it was somewhere in his Briar and Leaf Chronicles on his website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.