Cellars and never before tried tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ShawnP, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

So reading today and finding my surprise tobacco this afternoon got me thinking.

I have so many un-opened tins that I HAVE NEVER EVEN TRIED and have no idea if they are even worth keeping for my tastes. Sad I know.

So how many of you have tobacco in your cellars that have been sitting aging that you never even tried and are saving it hoping you enjoy it?????

I can't be the only dummy that has some. :doh:

Shawn

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've never done it, but it's not dumb. If once you try it, you find you don't like it, it has an elevated trade value. Whatever you have, somebody wants it, and they'd rather have it with some age on it.

JRobert likes this.
  3. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

Good point, never thought of it that way.I think sometimes the collector side of me comes out when I buy tins.

Shawn

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I have about 20 tins of stuff I've never tried. I'm still experimenting to find the blends that I want to seriously stockpile. Half the fun is anticipating opening them. So far I have found 6 blends I would never want to live without.

PipeSimmo likes this.
  5. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

Guess if I ever decide to sell trade my aged unopened Xmas Cheer I will make out huh? :beyes:

Shawn

Everman75 likes this.
  6. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I have several tins of stuff in my cellar that I've never tried and a few that are sitting there unopened because I lost interest in them. I also have several unopened 2002 Christmas Cheer tins I keep forgetting about. It's hard enough keeping up with what I already know I like!

StubrnDutchman likes this.
  7. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

I have several unopened tins. Some of them are waiting for good trades, others are just waiting. Maybe we need another "open that tin" weekend.

8. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

A few months back when P&Cs had a sale on H&H I ordered 18 different blends from them, about a month back I opened them all up and jarred them all so I could start trying them all and trade off what I didn't like and take notes on the ones I want to stock up on.

9. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I have plenty of stuff I have not tried, and will continue to buy more. I have a pretty good idea what I will like, basically any top quality leaf, and without experiencing variety of flavor I wouldn't bother with pipes.

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I do have tins/small jars of stuff I haven't tried before. I kind of think it's neat. :bing:

11. bosun

bosun Active Member

I buy one or two ounce samples. Try them. If I find that they are horrible I reseal the bag and toss it into a bag for emergency use. If I just don't care for it it goes into my hoover canister. Blend it in and it might not be so meh. If I like it then I order a pound or three. Not many reach that acceptance level. Sugar Barrel and Epiphany are major stockers in the cellar with a couple of tubs of Cherry Blend and Half and Half. People may think of OTC's as 'cheap' tobacco but many non-otc blends produced by Stokeby for example are less than the $35.00/pound of Sugar Barrel.

Atom likes this.
  12. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I have a few blends jared up that ive never tried yet
    Xmas cheer 2012
    patriot flake
    hamborger veermaster
    firedance flake
    mixture flake
    commonwealth
    thats just off the top of my head.

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Everything in my cellar is opened and jarred , minus a few tins of sutliff stuff that I've had before . I've smoked them all and theres nothing in there I haven't tried ... I kinda wish there was cause that would be cool ! I got a pouch of IRC Green the other day [ thanks Stubrndutchman ! ] ... It's one of the few IRC blends I haven't tried in the Traditional and Three Star Line ... I ripped it open in about two minutes of getting it and had it smoking in 5 ! I guess I could have let it sit .. but that wasn't gonna happen :)

StubrnDutchman likes this.
  14. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Anything I have in bulk, I've tried. I do have oh maybe 25 tins of stuff that I have not. Some vintage/ out of production stuff some I just haven't got around to.

15. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I have a dozen (or so) single tins of stuff I've never tried, but those mostly came as gifts or trades. I wouldn't call them cellared, just waiting.

My "cellar" is all stuff I smoke and love.
    I don't hold on to much of anything I don't smoke.

16. dbt13

dbt13 Sales Account

I have 41 containers in my cellar...32 are ones that I haven't tried.

And like Spill, I wouldn't say that I'm cellaring them...they are ones that I want to try and are waiting to find a place in my rotation.

17. WWhermit

WWhermit Member

36 blends "cellaring" that I've never tried.

18. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I don't buy anything that I don't at least have a taste of. I may get more tins to leave sealed but the first one gets popped and jarred so I can give 'er a go.

19. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

Most of my cellar is what I haven't tried. That isn't likely to change at all in the future. I will continue to try blends and note what I want to build up on, but will always order tins of new stuff. I look at cellaring and pipe baccy just as I do with cigars. Won't order a bunch of untried, but will order different tins of untried. About a tenth of my current stash is cigars I've never tried (some with a little over 2 years in the humi), and I expect my cellar to be worse at all times.

20. keen smoke

keen smoke Member

Yeah, I've definitely got some of this going on. My problem is that I usually wait to order stuff until I have a big order. Long story short, I end up with loads of "to try" tins that I just don't want to pop open while I have so much other stuff going. The only reason why I worry about this is the possibility of finding something I really love and then going to buy more to find its gone away.

Atom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.