Cellars and never before tried tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ShawnP, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Actually, just one: Germain's
    Brown Flake. Everything else
    has been sampled, or jarred
    after being sampled.

2. Atom

Atom Member

I think this is a good distinction to make.
    I know I have a habit of buying more than I can smoke until the next order, whether it is because of shipping or perhaps a good sale.
    So that means some tobacco has to wait. Maybe its not specifically being saved for aging, but by the time comes to try something new, it is ready available and might have an added bonus of age and maturity.

Spillproof likes this.
  3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I think the only thing in my cellar I have tried/smoked yet is a tin of Three Oaks Syrian. Oh, and a tin of McClelland Christmas Cheer 2012.

4. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I have lots of things I haven't tried but, as others have said, untried tins aren't necessarily "cellared." The most important thing in pipe smoking for me is experiencing new flavors, twists and turns on familiar blends, etc. So I buy all kinds of different things and toss them in the cabinet. I do the same with beer.

There's only a few blends that I've genuinely cellared--blends I'm pretty sure I will love for a long time. The rest of the "cellar" is designed to be a source of surprise and delight.

5. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

Guys I used the term Cellar in a broad sense. If it is in your tobacco stock aging or not isn't really still in your cellar.

My selection is one and the same, I don't keep cellared/aging tobacco in a dark deep corner of my basement. I guess I should have used the word Collection or Stash.

Shawn

6. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Yes, then. Absolutely. I probably have at least 40 single tins of blends I haven't tried in the stash. I'll get around to them, one at a time, over the next few years.

7. zippo

zippo Member

I have tins I havn't tried both in my cellar and my smoke it now stash. I found a place that had sutliff tins for around $3 so I would research the blends and buy 3 tins of the ones that sounded like they fit my taste based on the description. So now I have tins that I havn't got around to trying on the mantle and then multiple tins sitting in a container pushed under the bed.

8. mugwump

mugwump Member

Over half of the tinned blends in my cellar are untried by me. I tend to smoke my bulk favorites and then crack open a new tin every once in a while for a change of pace. If I stopped buying now (yeah, right) I could continue like this for many years. Anything I wind up not liking gets traded away. And I might as well get while the getting's good as I don't hesitate to add a new tin when they can be had for under 10 bucks.

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Same here Spill...there's pro'lly 10-12 tins floating around in there that I've not gotten around to...yet. Their day is coming.
    The blends I like are stocked deep, bought by the pound where/when available, and jarred against the day that they become, for whatever reason, unavailable.

10. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I just counted 9 tins in the stash that I have not yet tried.

11. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I have about 6 or 7 unopened tins that I have not tried and quite frankly, have no interest in trying. In the past 6 months, I have found 5 or 6 blends I do not want to be without and I have come to the realization that nothing else is going to "wow" me that much more. I am quite content with my few "go to" blends and would happily trade off my unopened tins for the stuff I like. In fact, I'm trying to.

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have about 8 unopened tins and pouches but only 3 I have not tried yet:
    1) Sutliff R-Blend
    2) McClelland Vintage 2007 Orient 996
    3) Low Country Cooper

13. Murph

Murph Member

I was at a pipe and tobacco swap today. One of guys there had Nightcap going for $150.00 a tin. These were 10-12 years old. Too much for this guy. I have never tried Nightcap and at that price never will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.