Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-Cherrybomb!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Whalehead King, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I'm halfway through my second bowl of CAO Cherrybomb. I picked up the tin after reading a thread a few weeks ago that said that, while this is not the best cherry tobacco, it packs a whallop of cherry. I'm not finding it in the tin note or the room note, nor in the stem. I expect a goopy brand like CAO to overwhelm me with casing. I think this is kind of...meh. It isn't bad but I was expecting something that was either very disgusting or very fine. Instead, I got what I would expect from Middleton's but I paid $10.50 for 1.75 ounces (apologies to those of you outside Louisiana. I don't mean to rub it in).

It's okay. Neither here nor there. CAO Moontrance had me hating it on day one and then learning to appreciate it as it mellowed and I met it in the middle. I'll finish the tin of Cherrybomb but it isn't making any impression one way or the other. Maybe my taste is numb.

Your thoughts?
    WK

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I thought their Bella Vanilla was meh, and I had hopes for it. Anything that costs a premium and advertises a bomb, well, pass. I'm definitely not a cherry type person, though. Sorry you got ripped on the tin. Some winners, most losers, I guess.

3. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

If you want some real berry come cherry try Dan's Devils Holiday, it's one of my favorites.
    Cheers.

4. Major

Major Member

Thanks for the post Whale, I just tried 2 CAO tins , Moontrance and Eilleens Dream. Thanks to you I won't be wasteing my money on Cherry bomb and I will try to have some patience with my 2 tins.

Yeah moontrance smelled great out of the tin. But in the pipe I hated it after the 5th puff. The Bourbon and Vailla flavor wre just fine for the first 5 puffs. Then it hit me.. There was this chemical after taste that tasted like soap that just ruined it for me. Eilleens dream had the same results but amplified X3. Ok Yeah you can taste the baileys just fine. Who cares when the taste turns to cheap OTC perfumed dishwashing liquid. The bad news was...I never finished a bowl of either. Next day (yesterday morning) I grabbed the same pipe and loaded up a sweet burley... GHOSTED with soap!! I smoked 3 rancid bowls through it b4 I decided to perform an exorcism the offending spector with a bourbon laddened cotton ball over night. After allowing it to dry it still took 3 more bowls before the pipe was finally set free.

I think I'll shelve the moontrance for a spell and see what happens. Eilleens Dream........ well... keep dreamin Eilleen. You'll never get into any of my pipes again.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The best cherry imo is IRC Cherry Cordial ... tastes like natural cherry . I like to blend w/ CAO cherry bomb . By itself I thought it had plenty of fake cherry flavor . Give it another try another day . Or if ya really dont like it after a bit ... trade it w/ me and I'll use it to make my Readheaded Bombshell . I blend IRC Buttered Rum , Cao Cherry Bomb and SWR to make it . You could always try blending w/ it ... ya never know what you'll come up with . It's a cool looking tin at least

6. beeftip

beeftip Member

I chucked an entire tin of Cherrybomb after two bowls. I completely gave up on aromatics after that too. So, I guess Cherrybomb is kind of like my "rock bottom".

7. Whalehead King

And this is how CAO keeps suckering me. I like the packaging. On shelves that feature a lot of lackluster graphics, CAO shows some thought and initiative. They don't always hit it out of the park (graphic design-wise), but the bar is set very low. The tin says Cherrybomb is "Made in Denmark by Scandinavian Tobacco Group of CAP International, Inc." I'll have to do a little research into this Scandinavian tobacco group. If anyone wants to beat me to it, which should be easy, feel free to post the findings here.

Cheers,
    WK

8. Whalehead King

After letting the Moontrance sit around for maybe six weeks in the original tin, I broke it out again. I'm not going to say it will change your life after that but it was okay and I incorporated a bowl a day into my routine. By the end, I was looking forward to it.

Somebody's buying these blends but I've always thought they worked better as cigars. Even then, a cigar affecionado is probably not going to shell out money for what is the moderately high-end equivalent of a Dutch Masters Grape cigar.

I'm not sure how much repeat business CAO is getting of their pipe tobacco tins. I doubt they're telling.

Good luck with the Moontrance.
    WK

9. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I just need to add: "hello dad, hello mom...."

And hey Whale, et al, thanks for the heads up,but I wish I read this a few weeks ago.

10. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

I had myself a tin of moontrance and did not like it all that much as well and I agree it almost made me throw away one of my pipes because of the taste it left lingering in the chamber. but my local store makes there own blends and they are quite good although you have to let them dry out a bit when you first get them

11. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Wait....is that a Runaways reference?

Edit for something useful and serious: Scandinavian makes a huge line of pipe tobaccos including lots of tinned varieties (W.O. Larsen, Escudo, Orlik, etc.) and more of the drug-store pouched stuff (Borkum Riff, Sail). They just bought Lane from Reynolds, so they are now doing all the Lane bulks as well as the whole Captain Black line.

12. slr

slr Member

The title cracked me up since I saw the movie The Runnaways on HBO.

13. woody

woody Admin Admin

I saw the movie and every time I see the title of this thread i think of Cherie Currie :roflmao:

14. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Nothing wrong with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.