1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

CH had a sweet taste before, totally gone now.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Raffxr7, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

When I started on CH, it had a really sweet taste mixed into the flavor dish... I dont catch that anymore. Have I killed my taste buds? Is my tobacco stale? Did I screw up my cob? I feel like I am missing the joy of CH with the contrast of two flavors at once. Did that happen as a pure coincidence with a super strong ghost?

2. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

I've noticed that on occasion, but then I get the sweetness, kind of a fleeting taste, then it's gone. I really think I like it best in a fresh cob.

3. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

this depends on the pipe used and your body chemistry on a given day. What you had for dinner will affect how your tobacco tastes in the evening.

4. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Hm... Maybe I need more sweets before a CH run. I may try a fresh pouch, too. I dont think my jars sealed right.

5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

There is another thread about some CH that tastes "off"...might be the same thing...

6. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

We need another experienced CH smoker to buy a new pouch and try it. A general consensus might be important now. Anybody game?

7. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

The pouch I bought two weeks ago does not taste as sweet or as good as usual. Still smokable but not as good as CH.

8. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

By my count on the two threads, that's 5 smokers who've noticed a difference. What could be going on?

9. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

Hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I picked up a pouch over the weekend, and it was missing something. It was lacking a depth I had tasted before. I figured it was just a bad batch, and threw it out. Tasted like old cheap burley coffee.

10. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Good news : my cob isnt messed up
    Bad news: CH is messed up

I wish it was my oddball odd shaped cob that I cant find a duplicate of......... Gah. Thank you all for your posts, and honesty. I thought my batch was just stale. I thought about adding some sweeter tobacco to it. I do not know how CH was able to give two flavors at once but man, it was incredible. I wish it was just me. I just started CH in a cob. I just started CH entirely, even. The odd part... my first pouch lost its sweet flavor over time. It had sat in a sealed glass jar for a month before I used it. Maybe I messed up and didnt get a good seal, maybe I had another element.. but it cant be entirely that if everyone else has noticed it too.

11. tungbite

tungbite Member

I am half way through my tub of Carter Hall and the strong Bacardi light rum smell has now become fainter. It still smokes great. Now I am worried that a new tub may also have issues! I still think the tobacco quality of the tub is much better than the pouches I had previously bought.

12. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

I've noticed with CH, when I first started smoking I liked it. Then I bought all sorts of tobacco so I didn't smoke it for a while. I started smoking it again, and I loved it. When I had finished it, I bought a new pouch and found it too sweet. I assume I had let [most of] the topping dry out, yielding a less sweet CH. To this day, I don't like the topping.

13. Scottly

Scottly Member

As a guy that smokes a tub of CH every 3 weeks in a cob and has for over a year I can say this-Sometimes the tobacco on top is dry. I actually LOVE the dry stuff. Sometimes no dry stuff on top just fresh. I have not noticed anything wrong or off with CH.

I can state with 100% confidence that cobs can get funky tasting. If you smoke them enough they are going to need a good cleaning, especially the shank. Tobacco will accumulate there, and will tastes horrible. I also have to ream my cobs. Cobs as GREAT as they are do need to be rested. They need to dry out, or they will sour.

I am not saying this what is happening with everybody but its something to think about. Plus I only buy the pouch if I screw up and run out the Tub so You may well be experiencing something I am not getting with the tubs. The pouches to me taste a little different from the tubs.

AussieTX and dwaugh like this.
  14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You been smokin alot of lat blends lately ?

15. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Brad:
    I toss pouches into a jar and shake them, and toss in a moisture button too as most pouches are a hair too dry. I have never noticed a difference in top vs rest because of that.

Ruffinogold:
    I've never smoked latakia :( I don't believe the tins my B&M stocks contain any either. I may have to order some, heck I haven't even had a tin yet. I just smoke OTCs and what I can get in bulk... at least so far. I fear that I'll get hooked on a lat blend that my budget doesn't cooperate with. :rolleyes:
    As of late, I smoked roughly:
    80 percent smokers pride black cavendish, 10 percent burley blends (started after the CH was weird tasting, I went for a retry of H&H and PA to get a sweeter baccy) and 10 percent CH.
    I think I smoked some really sweet tobacco in the cob before I started with CH, and it ghosted. I hadn't used the cob in a long time, so I can't recall what was in it before that. Probably some nasty aro... so glad I stopped those. Today I tried my favorite aro from when I did smoke them solely... and hated it. Burned hot, wet, and bit hard. It was like jumping in a hot spring/mud puddle full of rattlesnakes. I dumped that garbage and need to clean the label off my jar...... there is no vanquishing evil emoticon so I will leave that to your imaginations. I tried yet another (4th) pouch and found the same taste.

Scotty:
    I am quite meticulous about cleaning my pipes, I even have a wire brush out for the shanks as well as q tips and a bunch of PCs. I happened to be cleaning my often used briars when I check PSF. :) Cobs get cleaned just as meticulously, just less often due to a reduced use.

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Guess you had an off bowl or something . Well , if you havent had any Lat yet , I'd say try some SG Skiff ! It's not a Lat bomb . Imo , it has the tobaccos in all the right amounts , a superb blend

Raffxr7 and dwaugh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.