1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

CH, PA & SWR

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KN092011, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I need some help, from those in the know, about how these three compare to each other. Not one vs the other but rather comparing or contrasting each other in type of blend, flavor, smokeability etc.

Let me explain; I've been trying to keep things simple and inexpensive, so I've been trying to stick to the OTCs and only keeping a tin or two of the "nicer" tinned tobacco around. I've had CH & PA fairly regularly, because they are easy to find, and they seem very similar to me, with PA having a slight chocolate/cocoa -ish note to it over CH. SWR is a little harder to come by but I've been wanting to give it try. I'm curious to know how it compares to the other two though before I go through the effort of tracking some down (I know I've seen it at one of the local stores but I can't remember which one). My local grocery store has them all in the tubs but that's a bit beyond what I want to pay right now (and I'm sure if I asked they would get some pouche)s.

And for that matter, where does Half & Half fall in amongst these? Is it more of an aromatic?

Thanks!

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

For me sofar, its
    1 CH
    2 Half n Half
    3 SWR

If you add SWRA in there, then CH and SWRA might be a tougher call for me, but then HalfnHalf might gain some ground as I smoke some more of it.

colorduke likes this.
  3. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I liked CH much better than Half n Half. In my opinion Half n Half has a weird chemical taste to it.
    Still need to try SWR and PA.

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

SWR is a straight Burly blend, and it's one of my all time favorite smokes... and I smoke a lot of SWR. It has a slight cocoa and nut flavor which might be a topping, but I'm more inclined to believe that it is just the burly. However, I also get a hint of molasis and something else that I can't quite figure out, and I believe that to be the topping. I don't care for PA at all, and to me it just tastes like hot air. However, I really like CH. SWR has a much milder flavor than CH.

Rickpal14, MAINE CODGER and Rodfather like this.
  5. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I didn't know there was milder than CH :)

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

First off .. PA and SWR is just Burley . SWR uses an ever slight Saccharin like sweetness as a top note .. I mean just a touch [ and it's not saccharin ] . That topnote , as mild as it is , makes the difference for me between the two .

CH is a blend of Burley and Virginia as is Half and Half . Half and Half has more topnote to it that CH does . Both are quite good . Middletons Cherry is a Burley Virginia also with a whisper of cherry and is a very old school style American blend

The newer Lane made Velvet is freakin killer . It takes a couple three lights to get it going when you open a fresh pouch [ not so much when it's slightly drier ] but the flavor of the Burley [ it's a Burley blend ] is great and slow burning . It's all I've smoked the last couple days , go figure

Basically , try all the OTC ... they are cheap enough to try and many are good or better . SWRA is a killer chick magnet aromatic that has nicotine .... it rocks mightily

Wildcat, Johnny Dingo, TWolf and 4 others like this.
  7. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

With PA I get that nutty burley taste, also I think they add something to make it sweet. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, I have thought at various times maybe cocoa or maybe even some type of syrup. The sweetness what ever it is, is way in the background to the nutty burley. With CH I can taste the natural VA sweetness and it is a bit forward of the burley to me, but they are close to equal, but overall both of them are kind of subdued. I love both PA and CH. They have all the intangibles that make them great smokes, pop the lid off the tub and they're ready to go. The only "sins" I can find is if I really stoke up PA the taste can go cardboardy. With CH heavy duty puffing will make it ashy and I find the flavor has a tendency to break down near the bottom of the bowl.

It's been awhile since I've smoke either H&H or SWR. But next order along with MCB, which I've never tried. I will be getting pouches.

Thuber88 likes this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Being it's been a while since ya had the H&H .... imo , it's gotten much better since Lane started blending it :th1:

This place has reasonable OTC... http://wvsmokeshop.com/pipetobacco.aspx

DakOOk and Thuber88 like this.
  9. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

I am going to give them a try. As far as OTC they seem to have pouches covered, if it comes in the pouch. JR only wants to sell you a six pack and you know who never has stock.

10. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

How much does WVsmokeshop pay you and the missus?...

Coastal Bend likes this.
  11. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I need to just remember where I saw it and go get a pouch!

12. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I finally found it! There's a small tobacco store close by that sells mostly cigarettes and RYO type stuff but they have the OTCs and a small, but decent selection of cigars. Nice to know I have options close by. I plan to give SWR a whirl this afternoon and see how I like it.

Huby Springer and Summit like this.
  13. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I tried SWR last night and it will be in my rotation. Hope you like it.

Huby Springer likes this.
  14. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Picked up a pouch of Velvet today, just because the Mayor recommended it. It's really not bad--pretty moist, but is burning well in my little meer apple (OTC in a meer, is that allowed?). I don't think it will replaced CH as my OTC of choice, but I'd buy it again.

15. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

SWR is good stuff and definitely is in the rotation. The aromatic is also really good as well.

That's exactly what I said when I first tried it.

JimInks likes this.
  16. Tony Bybee

Tony Bybee Member

carter hall is definitely tops in the otc world. It has that honey, nutty taste more so than the others. that being said, swr and swra are decent smokes to. More molasses notes coming through. Gotta try some half&half soon. If price is a concern, buying bulk offering of most MacBaren and a few others is very close in price. granted shipping off sets that, but 4noggins offers a 10% discount to PSF members (just use discount code psf when you check out). also cigars international had a free shipping offer a while back. probably just need to sign up for their news letter to find out when they do it again. Now With That Being said, i will always keep some carter hall in the house. I do like to go into my local b&m and buy it there. nice owners and good conversation. I spend some money there whenever i can (pipe cleans, pipe tools etc). Gotta keep em in business.

17. KN092011

KN092011 Member

Smoking my first bowl as I type. I smoked a cigar that I picked up on Sat and got a pretty strong nic buzz and didn't feel like smoking anymore. Then I got food poisoning Saturday night/Sunday morning so this is my first smoke since.

So far I'm enjoying it. One interesting note is I can difinitively say this is what my grandfather smoked. I knew he smoked OTCs but wasn't sure which one. I could always smell a faint hint of whatever he smoked in the two pipes I inherited from him but could never figure out what it was. Now I know, so that's pretty cool.

It's only my first bowl so I can't make any judgement call yet but I think, for now, I still prefer PA. This is still good though. Will definitely smoke this pouch before I buy any more tobacco (still trying to keep it simple). I think I'll try the aromatic next.

18. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Sir Walter has been my go to blend since the demise Of EERd. I find it has more of the burley taste I crave. Thanks to our gracious Mayor who sent me a sample of Granger, I ordered a tub and find myself reaching for it quite often. Another great burley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.