1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Changing my Profile

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jpberg, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I love pipes. I picked out my first (a Savinelli second) from a basket on the counter of With Pipe and Book, the wonderful, greatly missed pipe shop on Main Street in Lake Placid, NY. I was sixteen, finishing up my last year of school, reading Buchan and wanting to look dashing.

I don't think I ever hit dashing, but I certainly fell in love with that pipe. That was 1986, we could smoke on campus - even had a room (I kid you not) called the "Gentlemans Smoking Room". Leather chairs, claw foot tables...the last tiny bit of clubbiness I saw before the world became "correct". Anyhoo, I digress....

Since that first pipe there have been many, many others. Mostly machine made Petes, Stannies, and Savs, with a few Dunnys, Tsuges and other handmades thrown in the mix. Meers, cobs and clays have come and gone, even a couple Brylons (briefly) crossed my lips. (Yes Gerry, you're right, I never mentioned Falcons, never had one!)

In June 2009 I bought a pipe from Bannard. A perfectly drilled little pot. The first smoke was a revelation. What I knew about what I thought were good pipes went out the window. This thing smoked better than anything I'd had in the past, regardless of price.

I got quite an education from that pipe, and it started me on a little feeding frenzy - Caminettos, Ascortis, Radices, Mastro de Pajas, Ser Jacs, Beckers, Don Carlos, Castellos and Tinskys all showed up in the mail box in short order. I got an education from all them as well, mostly I learned that I was still enjoying my Squatch pipes (more of them were showing up as well) as much or more than than their Italian cousins.

I've tapered off from the frenzy now, I still find myself buying the occasional Radice, but mostly it's just Bannards. Which brings me to the wonderwood.

I don't know how many of Todd's pipes I have now, 13 or 14 I'd guess. The oil cured pot I got this summer (spring?) was the best I'd had until last month. A little dublin thing showed up in the mail. I'd showed him a picture of an Ilsted that I liked and asked for something similiar. What I got was another level of education in what a pipe can be. This thing is drop dead gorgeous (maybe Todd can post a pic), and what can I say about the taste? Anyone who wants to tell you briar is briar is briar needs to talk to me. This stuff has a sharp, lively taste right off the first light, adding a dimension to my P&W that I've tasted in no other pipe. I've got probably thirty bowls smoked through this thing and it is getting exponentially better, while maintaining that initial sharpness that just blows my mind.

The wonderwood is expensive, but don't let the price put you off. I know how subjective our pastime is, and I appreciate the different tastes we all have. Do yourselves a favor, save your money, don't buy those next two petes, get in touch with Bannard and have him make you a pipe. Wonderwood or not, you'll be getting a jewel, and maybe the best pipe you've ever smoked.

I hope I don't need to add that this is an unpaid endorsement, but Todd, if you want to thank me with a gift of that Radice Clear we've been talking about I won't tell a soul!

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Seems I have a collectors item...... a misdrilled Bannard.

I did have to beg for the pipe though and Todd told me that he really didn't want to let it go out the door. Still smokes well flaw and all....... :P

3. pottsy

pottsy Member

Is it misdrilled? Or creatively drilled. Or maybe even Canofduhnadian style?:roflmao:

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If you love him so much, why don't you marry him already? As his spouse, you're intitled to half his stuff...pipes 'n all. (Gawd, my stomach just inverted.) :yes:

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

you know, i don't know if my bent billy (that must sound awful in british) is the "wonderwood" of which you speak, but i do recall being surprised that such a huge freakin pipe stayed lit so well and smoked so dry (drier than my most broken in, formerly favorite pipes) on the first smoke, jammed full of soaking wet english flakes...

either way, i'm going to have to beat toddy into making some more pipes at some point in the future.

6. jhe888

jhe888 Member

My Google-fu is usually pretty strong, but I couldn't find a link, other than some casual references. Any links?

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

jhe,

They are talking about our own Sasquatch.
    Apparently, he's a pipe-carver-extraordinare.

dp

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I fly under the radar. The brand is gonna be Briar Sweat and Tears. For now, Sasquatch just deals on the forums, and that's cool too because it's not faceless.

There's a website in the works, but it's not quite ready for prime time. Gotta kick SBritton into getting it finished I guess!

Thanks for the kind words, Jon. I'm glad you like most of 'em, and it's been nice for me to have someone basically parallel testing briar supply and setup tweaks. But all it means is that you and I think similarly about how a pipe should work.

Jesla, you got, what, 3? I think yer fulla crap. Pix or it didn't happen.

Jon's just excited cuz his pipe had a little silver on it.

[​IMG]

I'd like to say thanks to everyone else who's bought a pipe or two, back when they were 50 or 60 bucks, and I was happy just to be able so make and sell ANYTHING resembling a pipe. It meant a lot to me then, and it still does now.

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I'm "taggin' on" jp!

I've got 5 'Squatch pipez and 2 on the way. All 5 smoke super nicely. Thus explains the 2 on the way! :)

One thing I noticed is SAS' "Stemwork". Soooooo comfortable to clench and enjoy! Really, it's the little things that mean so much. All 5 of mine has stems that reflect SAS' attention to detail and brilliant execution of the "Pipe-Smoker" interface. The stem! It's as important nearly as the quality of the briar, the engineering, and final burner. All coming together into a "dynamite package" known as a 'Squatch!

Briar Sweat & Tears ehhh? Kind of "catchy" no?

Well, I too am so glad I stumbled on into PSF and got to meet up with so many great pipesmiths and SAS is most definitely the maker of super fine (GREAT) pipes!

JP, I know I'll probably never catch up to your #'s of Squatches since I know you'll be picking up a few more here and there and so will I. But you'd either have to declare a moratorium on SAS' creations or I'll have to double up! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hey SAS whatchya got cookin'?

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

10. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Wow, another great looking pipe SAS!

Now, if I can keep my wallet in my pants long enough, I too soon to have one of these great pipes.

11. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Nah, I just use him for pipes. Besides, I got my eye on you, big boy...

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm glad I'm not diabetic, the amount of sugar in this thread would require an emergency visit to the ER...

In all seriousness, you guys and your glowing reports are the reason I intend on picking up a Sas'...as soon as I can swing the cost. With my vision, maybe a cheaper, 'function over form' model is all I need. (It worked for my wife in choosing me...)

13. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Once you get one Kyle, you'll know why Todd has so many return customerz ;)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Sas', this is high praise coming from people who don't use glass pipes. It reminds me how fortunate we are to have you as our pipe-guru. :thumb:

15. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Thanks. I didn't know his actual name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.