1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Room Note?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by woodbutcher, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Nov 27, 2009
    In an attempt to get my wife more involved with my pipe smoking interest, I asked her to help me "rate" the smell of the tobaccos I smoke. I set her with a ten point scale (5 = no noticed smell, 1 = too stinky for the house, 10 = smoke anywhere around her). In the interest of keeping peace in the house, I agreed to smoke only the ones she rated higher than 6 in the house and the others would be confined to my shop.

She seemed to take to the idea. I started going through different blends from my shelf and she would weigh in with her opinion. C&D's Engine 99 got a 2, Morley's Best she gave a 4 (she has never liked latakia, but, admitted that MB wasn't too thick).

A couple of days later, I'm smoking in the shop and she walks in with a big smile. "I really like what you're smoking now. Put it down as a 8 or 9", she says.

You guessed it. I was puffing on Morley's Best in the same pipe as before!!! All my plans for collecting useful data were thrown out the window. I'll never understand the female mind (as if I didn't know that already).

Does tobacco really have a room note that changes under different conditions?
    If she suddenly decides that Pirate Kake is "wonderful", should I call 911?

Just more things to ponder on while I smoke.
  2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

"Weemin can be strange!" as we say in Scotland.

My first wife hated loathed and despised Benson and Hedges Mellow Virginia ( and me too for that matter!) - yet anytime I have ever been smoking it near women they've all commented on its pleasant sweet smell and been highly taken with it. Rhona however will even stick a pack of it in my jacket pocket from time to time as a treat ( whether for me or her I'm not sure! ) and will certainly do that also as a hint that she's not taken with any new blend I might be trying.

I am not being sexist nor down putting but I genuinely believe it's a hormonal thing and at different times things smell differently to them.

Maybe some of the ladies who have joined recently could help on this one?

Best to all

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Reassuring Bovine Moderation Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    Lemon juice vanishes in vodka.
    Lime disappears in rum.
    They're both lovely on rice & shrimp.
    They are rough by themselves.

I think the way tabak is sensed changes with the environment. Mrs. Moo has also swung widely on the same blend, indoors vs out. :dunno:
  4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    I hate to disagree with Mr Moo but I can't advise putting shrimp in your pipe, no matter what.

My wife hates 90% of what I smoke, no matter what, and chronically despises latakia. But she makes damn good waffles, so I keep her.
  5. rphillips

rphillips Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Your logic is undesputable Sasquatch. Its hard to find some good waffles.

I found that my girlfriend likes my Sillems Red much better when the room is warm. When the heat went out a while back and it got cold enough to see your breath in the room, she didnt care for the smell.
  6. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Aug 12, 2010
    You need to get some earplugs. Just keep your back to the wall when you wear them. It took me a few "episodes" to learn that particular lesson.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.