Changing tastes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AndyLowry, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

When I first started smoking pipes, I settled on one blend as my mainstay for about ten years: MacBaren's Scottish Mixture (as it was known then, nowadays it's just "Mixture"). Sure, I had some occasional Brush Creek or Sobranie or whatever, but the Scottish was what I always depended on. I tried some for old times' sake not long ago, and found it bitey and sharp and horrible. After a little research, I discovered that it has burley in it, and understood the problem-- I can't smoke burley at all, and haven't been able to for twenty years or so. It tastes like soap and bites my tongue. Didn't used to, but does now.

I put my pipes away about three years ago in a misguided no-more-smoking effort, and my favorite tobacco at the time was Haddo's Delight, which for the uninitiated is a heavy perique blend. Well, now I can't even smoke Escudo, because perique has become dreadful to me-- sharp, peppery, astringent, and generally ghastly. (I still use homemade perique snuff, and it's really fabulous, oddly enough.)

So, you newcomers and younguns: You might like what you like now, but what you like will change. Some of the change will be through maturation of discernment, and some will be through the physiological changes of aging. Sometimes I think it's a bad thing, because I sure did used to enjoy the hell out of Haddo's, but there's no doing anything about it.

Can't listen to Grand Funk Railroad anymore, either, but that's a different story.

Anyone else develop aversions to former old favorites?

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

That's exzactly the reason my cellar is wide and deep! Your tastes will change. Blends will change or cease availability. Toby will cost more if not ridiculously more!

Cellar "Wide -n-Deep"!
    Cellar Now!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Hear hear, and huzzah! Hats off, gentlemen! I nominate the above statement as the official motto of this site, the pipe brotherandsisterhood, the internet as a whole, and the world in general. Well said, sir. Let us commence to make these words flesh! Well, not flesh exactly, more like dried leaves in jars and whatnot, but you know what I mean.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'd love to agree with you, but your slamming of GFR makes you anathema to me! :thumbsd:

:eek:hyeah:

:0laugh:

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Oh, nonononono, my friend, you misunderstand me. I can't listen to, say, TNUC or maybe Mean Mistreater, without wanting to get up and dance, and I'm far too decrepit for such activities. Wouldn't want me to sprain an ankle, would you? I stick to Bach nowadays, or maybe something polyrhythmic and undanceable like Bill Bruford. ;)

(My first rock concert, at 15 or so, was you know who.)

Grand Funk Railroad = burley
    Stravinski = perique
    J.S. Bach = Cyprian blends
    Glenn Gould playing Bach = Wilderness

And so on...

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

What, no Marilyn Manson tobacco analogy? I thought you were well versed in all things musical... ;)

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

That's devil's music Kyle!
    (and so is country!) :ass:

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law swears that listening top country music causes inbreeding. He may be on to something......

Back OT...my tastes have constantly changed over the last 50+ years, and will probably continue to do so. Long ago, I began cellaring a myriad of tobacco types...Va/Vapers, English, Oriental, and even some Aromatics. As my tastes progress, I'm assured some well aged blends to meet the need.

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Marilyn Manson = smoking a pipeful of soggy 2 week old dottle

10. morleysson

morleysson Member

In the late '60s, I moved from the standard OTC mix (H&H, PA, Granger and Edgeworth) with which I started, and delved in to the ultra-sophisticated demimonde of latakia blends, like Constantinople. Man, I was a college student and an icon for my fellow students, right? I tolerated these blends for a while, but came back to the realization that the cost (large) and the tongue bite (larger) was not worth the effort when the old favorites offered better, which I realized later, smokes at much more affordable prices. I can even recall one Christmas when my Uncle Ray came by, smoking his standard H&H in a Kirsten, and I unceremoniously declined his offer of a fill because I smoked Constantinople (very chic then!!), and dismissed this 'pedestrian' smoke. Foolish boy was I. Within a few years, I came back to the OTCs where I have stayed since, smoking comfortably and affordably, and never worrying where I can get a refill if I run out of tobacco.

It really is all about finding your level of smoking comfort, and nesting there.

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

as usual Morleysson has summed it up succintly. Substitute some "posh" Brit tobaccos for the ones he's mentioned while at college and I've done the same thing in my Posing years as a youth! Must go with the territory!

Me now? Back with my Old original favourites and the American OTCs that I've discovered over the last couple of years ... classics didn't get to be classsics for nothing ... but as has been truly stated it's up to each individual where they take this game for themselves.

Were they still available, I'd be smoking nothing but my old Players favourites - Gold Leaf, Tawny, No Name, and Sherwood.

Happy smoking whatever,

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.