1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Checking Out Other Peoples Pad

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ddandb, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddandb

ddandb Member

Just curious.

What is the largest amount of pipes you have ever bought in one month?

What is your average for a month?

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Biggest ever PAD was 4 pipes in a month, but this was due to the NY pipe show last month (2), a Sas custom, and the falcon.

3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Oh yeah, I try to max out at 1 pipe per month as I'm already over 30 pipes and have recently been more concerned with bolstering the cellar.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Three for me - when I foolishly tried to give up smoking a few years back, I did what they say and junked all my pipes - then I had to buy replacements (Ouch!) so it was three Falcons one month, three the next, then two. Have bought seven corncobs in a month once but that probably doesn't count as the outlay was minimal....I do have a birthday coming up though!

Gerry

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I bought five in February, two Comoy's, two Petersons, and a Stanwell. Needless to say the wallet felt it pretty hard and I've been trying to take it easy since then.

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

I average two or three Grabows a month, I'm on the hunt for the smooth finished saddle stemmed Billiards, my favorite Grabow pipe!

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Four in a week was the most for me, all from IRC in Chicago. Went and bought two Peterson bent billiards in one go, and added a meer poker to that. Tried smoking the meer, found out it wasn't too bad, and bought another meer the day after!

8. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I bet they loved seeing you walk through the door.

9. phinz

phinz Active Member

Lately I've been averaging 6-8 a month, give or take. Almost all are estates. I bought three pipes at the same time a couple months ago at a pipe club meeting, and last year my wife bought me 8 pipes all at once.

10. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i'm sitting at about 15 briars right now, looking to get rid of a few actually. i went stupid at the pipe show as well (good scores though) and i keep catching myself trying to scratch the pad itch. if my self control was worse i'd probably be buying a pipe a week and i suspect rapidly finding myself single.

i need to start stocking up again too.. all my tins are starting to look seriously picked-over. thinking maybe putting this month's pipe money towards either a new buffing wheel and some carnuba for polishing or a five pack of irish flake tins.

i'll gladly haul away any briars you need shot of though, free of charge :D

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I've bought 12 pipes in the last month (most I got very cheap on ebay), but I just starting smoking a pipe back at the beginning of March.

Bri2k

12. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

13. Marc

Marc Active Member

That's more pipes than I currently own and I've been pipe smoking for over 30 years! :blink:

14. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I can't remember :D but here's my latest acquisition. A Nanna Ivarsson designed Stanwell. I stopped in pipesandcigars on Saturday (just to get a few tins of tobacco.... :blink: ) and Russ Oullette handed this one to me to JUST to look at......

.......I'm going to stay away from any B&M stores for a while. :blush:

15. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I smoke like a chimney. :blush:

Bri2k

16. Marc

Marc Active Member

Me too! And like the old timers before me used to say, a well smoked pipe will always out perform a well rested pipe and I have proven that to be the case over and over again. :blink:

17. Legend

Legend Member

I agree with that statement. That being said this month so far I bought an MM Diplomat, A Jake Hackert custom Patriot, and a friend sent me a Willard gratis. Someone else on another forum is gifting me a couple of Grabows out of the blue that are in the mail. My cup surely runneth over. Like a lot of us here I'm sure, I've been putting more of my dough towards Tobacco.
    I once bought 7 pipes in a month, all cheap estates when first starting out so I could build my "rotation". That was when I first began and was led to believe I need to rest my pipes a couple of days after smoking. Now when I buy a pipe it's because I want to, and I am a lot pickier. I was hasty in building up that rotation. Don't get me wrong, I got some good smokers back then. Hindsight of course being 20/20, if I were starting out now knowing what I do, I would purchase a couple of good cobs, a Falcon or Doc Grabow Viking and a few spare bowls, and some better briars that I chose at leisure. I also encourage people to find a niche-choose collecting Savinelli's or whatever, and learn all you can of that particular maker's lore and history. I like collecting Dr. Grabow coupon pipes now, the ones that you could get with coupons found in cans of PA and a song. Sorry for the rant and a little OT. Happy piping!

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

Clete, your cup will surely runneth over this month; enjoy all your new acquisitions! :blink:

19. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I hate you Steve!!!! :)

20. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Nanna Iverson is hot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.