1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Checking Out Other Peoples Pad

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ddandb, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

So Marc and Legend - the belief about a pipe being left unsmoked for too long makes it go off song exists that side of the pond too! I do actually subscribe to it myself - apart from getting a new pipe physically broken in and some carbon established on it, I personally think there's a further second break in period where the "sharpness" in smoking starts to disappear and the pipe takes on a mellowness of it own, and that's when it starts to get and taste really good.

Like you when I was first starting out I quickly tried to build a rotation and equally quickly ended up with a crap rotation, until I went down the Falcon route - upon which I stayed for most of my life. I'd agree the message is quality ( however you personally define it ) before quantity.

Happy smoking all, and apologies for going off topic

Gerry

3. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

:D :) :P

Take That!!!!
    :blink:

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Gerry, I'd rather have 6 or 7 well smoked pipes in my rotation then racks of pipes that get smoked only once or twice a day over a month or two, to me, well smoked pipes will out perform any pipe that sits around for long periods of time. I can easily manage with 3 or 4 pipes and I average 10 to 12 bowls a day, more on weekends. :blink:

5. Legend

Legend Member

I agree Gerry-Quality first, it's a lesson worth passing on. I do concur with Marc fully as well. What Marc said made me think a little. I have spent most of my life repairing cars for a living, and I notice that cars that were driven a lot, with high mileage, ran better with less concerns over those that were not. The caveat here being those high mileage vehicles were maintained well. I used to work on this little old ladie's car, 10 years old, with less than 2000 miles on it. That car had a new problem every week! It just was not driven enough. Sorry if I'm boring the socks off of you guys, but I believe "use it or lose it". With cars, pipes, heck almost anything I have learned to purchase the best you can afford, then maintain and use said product as long as possible-i.e.-run that auto until it can't go no more!
    I, like everyone else enjoy all the you-tube pipe smokers vids. The one apprehension I have about a lot of these posters is that in a way they encourage people to get a huge amount of pipes when they see their enormous collections of very expensive pipes. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here, but I have spoken to a lot of newer pipe smokers that feel they need to be buying 25 plus pipes, and higher end ones to boot. Add to this the tobacco, and well...the new guys need to be made aware that the smokers making these videos have been at it for a long time or have the money to put down to do this.

6. wataru

wataru Member

I happy picked out an Old World Huntman's Horn today for $30, an MM hardwood Ozark Mountain straight and an MM cob Pony Express bent tip. $30, $6 and $6.

I was also EXTREMELY happy to see my local B&M sells BC pipes and the vest pocket pipe is looking mightly fine..

7. Legend

Legend Member

BC does make some beautiful pipes!

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Great example of use it or lose it Clete :blink: At one time in my life I had well over a 100 mid and high grade Italian pipes, every month it seemed I had a new favorite pipe or two, last month's favorites started spending more time on the rack, then the next month more new favorites. After a couple of years of this, you accumulate a huge collection of nice pipes that are barely broken in. Now I maintain a smoking rotation of about 6 or 8 pipes, they see continuous service during the week and all of them smoke exceptionally well, this has worked well for me for years now. I do however, cycle pipes in and out of my rotation, if I buy a new pipe, I gift one or sell it and I'm not trying to discourage anyone from collecting pipes or whatever, I just believe a half dozen well smoked pipes, deliver a better smoking experience on a daily basis than a pipe smoked once or twice a day every week or month before it is used again. All this my experience and opinion. :)

9. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

I had a little financial windfall this month and went a little PAD happy...I think I bought five pipes since St. Patrick's Day, and I have a few more I want coming up on ebay...

Peterson Deluxe Classic 221 (bent billiard)
    Peterson St. Patrick's Day 2010 B30
    Stanwell Matte Brown Blowfish
    Mario Grandi Freehand (sort of a partially rusticated blowfish)
    Savinella Sigla (new smaller autograph line...hand-made bent billiard)

...and I've got a bid in on a vintage Kaywoodie that I hope to win...whew...I better slow down...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.