1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Checking out shapes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruffinogold, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Often when I'm at the computer smoking I'll look at pipe shapes . I like funky or unique ones but I find the most interest in the varied traditional shapes . I'm amazed at how a billiard , for example , can be presented in a ton of ways . The same shape but the proportions make the difference . A tapered stem or saddle stem . Etc . This is one of my favorite links on the web . Theres also a link to a 1940's shape chart as well . I've got a dozen Kaywoodies or so . The # 28 ,13B , o4 and 39 jump out as favorites . I post this cause maybe you'll get sucked in the way I do w/ these shapes ... http://pipepages.com/kwg-36app1 . I've long looked for a 50 B bulldog - round shank ... but I've never found one

2. Hothog

Hothog Member

Looking at pipe shapes is fascinating. That's what make pipe smokers build up huge pipe collections. The only pipe that I don't like is the Porche design. This is a dangerous pastime because it makes you run out and buy a new pipe. My current favourite shape is the Bulldog with 2 rings on the bowl. This is the Porche Pipe

http://www.uncrate.com/men/culture/smoking/pipe-909-by-porsche-design/

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Thanks for posting Ruff - there's hours of fascinating reading and study in there; though it's maybe not a totally innocent passtime!

My own tastes run to the more conventional shapes - but like you I'm amazed at the number of variations possible on a theme.

Once again - Thanks for Sharing

Gerry

4. morleysson

morleysson Member

I'm a fan of KWs for their continuation in adhering to the classic shapes, especially the billiard, and for Custombilts w/ their minor variations on the traditional shapes. I looked at my racks and counted billiards, apples, and dublins (all straight stems) representing more than 80% of all my pipes. When I was younger, I was entranced w/ the freehands and the large 'clunky' pipes, but soon realized that the classic shapes w/ slightly smaller bowls offeredthe optimal combination of pipe and bowl size for an ideal smoke.

Fine post. Thanks.

5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Concur, morleysson! Those small, slim billiards (27 & 29 on the 2nd page) are very nice and remind me of Grabow Larks.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Great link, Ruff! Like those
    facetted Kohinoor shapes
    for some reason. Guess I'd
    never seen something like
    that before. Nice.

dp

7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

While we are here and talking about shapes....
    What makes a pipe a Billiard? What is the definition of a Billiard pipe?

8. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

9. ruffinogold

The Kohinoor shapes I'd like to have even more than the round shanked bulldog but I figure theres no way I'll ever see one . If any are around I'm sure theryre in somebodys collection . They are super cool !

10. ruffinogold

here's an example of why I like shapes . Heres two Kaywoodies [ saddle billiards shape 04 and 51s ]..... http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab13/ruffinogold/Pipe Collection/P1010013.jpg . I think theyre the same lenght and height . The bowls are basicly the same . Yet the 51s has a fatter shank thus a wider saddle where as the 04 has a slender shank and saddle . The difference in the way these pipes feel is pretty huge . The 04 is elegante where as the 51s is more like a " sport " sized pipe and feels heftier . The pic isnt all that great but the 04 is a about a 16' longer . Probably boring to some but I really dig these nuances .Here they are in the 1947 pipe shape guide ... http://pipepages.com/kwg-47app4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.