Choices Choices Choices!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by GGSP1979, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGSP1979

GGSP1979 Member

I been smoking a pipe for a couple months and tried Prince Albert in the red pouch and not bad, building a slight cake in my cob mainly. After I finished that pouch I went and got me a pouch of Captain Black in the white package, the aroma is delightful and the smoke is good to me and very enjoyable. Recently I bought a 8oz bag of Admiral's Choice Nat Cavendish at the local CVS, it is not too bad and has a pleasantly sweet aroma that's not 'big' like Capt Black but still enjoyable how ever I find it a bit more difficult in smoking...likely a bit too moist is very likely.

Ok so those are the tobaccos I have tried, and they vary in experience from ho hum (PA) to great (Capt Black) to in between (Ad Choice).

So I am wondering...what else is out there, I am sure there are some tobaccos that are "mind blowing" or some thing lol.

So I ask you good people...what would you recommend to me this "Padawan Learner of Pipes"?

Mind plain burl like PA was not horrible or bad, a decent smoke for the price I say. Capt Black smelled awesome and is a pleasure to smoke, Ad Choice is atm going to trial as to weather I will really enjoy it or not...it might very well be a dud I will smoke when I have no other...8oz...thats a LOT of tobacco, and I might try blending it to make it more enticing :)

Please do toss me some suggestions from the secret black arts of ta-baccy, some thing relaxing, invigorating even, some thing scrumptious maybe lol I await suggestions with anticipation. lol

2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Since you've started on OTC's (aka codger blends or drug store blends), which is a good place to start, finish it out by trying Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, Granger, Velvet, Walnut, Sugar Barrel, and Half and Half. All of these are tobies that should be easy enough to get locally or on the internet (4Noggis and Mars Cigars are good internet sources). These are all hallmark tobies in the OTC genre, are solidly good smokes (especially since you've found that you like Prince Albert or Captain Black), and will give you a good appreciation for Burley-based tobies.

None of these are going to me mind-blowing smokes, but they are all solidly good smokes - as evidenced by their longevity. (Of all of these blends, I'm not so fond of Half and Half or Sir Walter but other old codgers love them). These have all been around since Moby Dick was a guppy and they all work very well in a cob. The odds are that if your grandfaather or great grandfather smoked a pipe, then he smoked one of these bloends

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Oh, there's a whole world of tobacco out there to try. If you haven't already done it, check out tobaccoreviews.com for some info on the thousands of blends available. You can then proceed to any number of online retailers based on what you learn (as I recall, you don't have any good pipe stores in your area). It sounds like you're enjoying aromatics right now, and there are lots of good ones out there. I'm not a big afficionado of aros, so I'll leave it to some other folks to point you in a good direction for that.

As for the Admiral's Choice, try leaving some out in the open for anywhere from 1/2 an hour to several hours before smoking, to give it a chance to dry. Doing that often vastly improves it's smoking qualities. You want it to remain pliable (not dry like fallen leaves) but not to stick together when you grab a pinch of it.

Herb

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

You have only scratched the surface.

My advice is to order a few different styles of tobacco and then go from there. Explore the types you like best. Over time and with experience your tastes will change and you will go thru phases.

You need to get a good virginia, a good vaper and a good latakia blend. Maybe a better burley too.

You could order a couple ozs of McClelland 5100 to try a red virginia. Some McClelland 2015 to try a virginia/perique blend. Maybe some Stokkebye Balkan Supreme for a lat blend and some MacBaren Burley London Blend for another burley. All of those are available in bulk. All are pretty fair representations of their type. All are affordable.

Then after you try those you can figure out which way to start exploring from there.

5. GGSP1979

GGSP1979 Member

Prince Albert is a good tobacco, it has a very good flavor specially in a new bag. Captain Black I just found to be excellent and smells fantastic, the taste is good as well and over all is a pleasure to smoke and I'll be getting more later on as well as trying others.

Haven't found many of those others, I have found Half and Half. I'll look for the other and try those, Half and Half might be close to me checking into.

I'll try leaving some of that Admirals Choice out to dry for a bit, I think it would likely smoke better as it feels extremely spongy and moist when I pinch some out of the bag. Will update on that, I'll bet it works lol. Also what might be good to keep tobacco in? I heard about those glass sugar type jars with the rubber seal and the metal clip type lock mechanisms, likely get a couple sizes of those and store some of the diff types of tobacco in them with labels lol

As for Virginia, Vaper and Latakia...Viginia is the only one that dosn't sound...alien...ROFL! I know nothing of these, geeze glad I posted this thread, now I feel lost rofl.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If you see SWR aro .... bag it . It's not a black cavendish ... it isnt wet ... if you like the flavor , it will be very good / Super easy to light and keep lit .
    There's so much out there to try ... the skys the limit ! I mention SWR aro being youre already bagging otc . Just pull the trigger on some stuff ... if ya dont like something .... somebody here will more than likely trade for it ... no loss

DocB likes this.
  7. GGSP1979

GGSP1979 Member

SWR, OTC. Is there a glossary or terms here? lol These abbreviations get me at a loss, I'll learn quickly however. And I agree there seems to be innumerable things to try, and the trade things sounds excellent, I'll learn all this stuff soon enough. Glad I came to PSF, this forum is pretty much the holy grail of Pipe, has been instrumental in my to learning and enjoying the pipe.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

LOL ... sorry , Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic . OTC ... over the counter . Honestly ... the SWR Aro is real good

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Actually there is a glossary of our shorthand under Site Info And Announcements/Library/Pipe Abbreviations from the main forum menu. For more info on pipes and tobacco in general, check out pipedia.org and read the threads here, especially those in the "Ask An Old Fart" forum.

10. Beale

Beale Active Member

Do you have a local B&B in your town? If so do they have a good pipe tobacco section? Another nice thing would be if they have someone that can help you into the blends (tins or bulk) that may please you.

My 2 first tobacco buys were both recommended by different sources. As to the Bulks? Peter Stokkebye English Oriental is a very good blend. Nice flavor without being over the top. A Good IMHO tin to try? Dunhill EMP, Beale.

11. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Send me a pm and we'll work out a trade. I've got 20-30 blends on hand (many are good quality, moderately priced bulks like my favorite PS LNF). 16 ounces will give me around 15 bowls in my Diplomats. Decide how much you want to spend and I'll come up with something that you can order online & send to me. I have va/vapers, Balkans and OTC's if you have any preferences.

WyoBob

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Come to the dark side ....
    and try some non-OTC's! :cool:

DocB likes this.
  13. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

What?

DocB likes this.
  14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

......Heck!, they must grow big Dips over there!:xd:

15. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Crap. Must be the meds:)

One ounce, one ounce, one ounce.

WyoBob

16. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I have been on the dark side for quite sometime now!

17. DocB

DocB Active Member

Sooo many good tobaccos out there that are non-aros. G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake is a recent favorite of mine. Orlik Golden Sliced is another. Most all of these fellas know what they are talkin' about. If you see them mention something that sounds good, then just pick up a tin. If you like it, buy a sh** ton of it. :hbang:

18. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Sage advice.

Half the fun of pipe smoking is in the exploration. Sometimes you're going to find a blend you just can't stand, but odds are that you will find someone here on PSF who'll trade you for it. I'm not partial to heavy aromatics, "Lat Bombs", or really flowery stuff (Mixture 79, McClelland's Bombay Club, or G&H's Dark Flake) - but just about every other toby I've tried that was recommended by a member here on PSF has been at least good if not fantastic. I had a horrible experience with flake toby when I first tried it, and for 25 years I wouldn't go near it. But I saw so much glowing praise for the stuff here on PSF that I gave it a shot. Guys here coached me on how to rub it out and smoke it properly, and now it's my absolute favorite type of toby.

Try a wide range of tobies, find a type or style you like, and enjoy. Odds are that you're going to find something that you like and can afford to smoke regularly. But above all else, find what you like (regardless of what others say about it) and enjoy. Just enjoy!

19. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

You should give Lane's RLP-6 a try. It's kind of like Capt Black ... only better.

20. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yeah, English blends, and cookies too! :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.