1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing 4 tobacco for beginner

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by fred28, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred28

fred28 Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Well I'm going to order tobacco and pipe. I never smoked pipe before (just 25 years ago and it was a nightmare, I didn't know how to pack the pipe, how to smoke it, it was hot, not nice. At that moment, internet wasn't really born.

Ok, I'm smoking cigarettes and I will stop for the use of the pipe. This is what I want.
    I read on Pipedia an interesting subject on cigarettes smoker:
    Good-Bye Cigarettes, Hello Pipe! bye Steve Fallon

He recommend the use of Virginia, Burley based tobacco.

I have some research on Tobacco and I finished with these tobacco on my list:
    • Mac Baren Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed (bulk)
    • Mac Baren Navy Flake
    • Orlik Golden Sliced (red)
    • Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
    • Frog Morton
    • Frog Morton's Cellar
    • Frog Morton on the Bayou
    • Rattray Old Gowrie
    • Rattray Hal O' The Wynd
    • Gawith, Hoggarth Bright CR Flake
    • Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
    I will get 3 or 4, only. Ok, maybe 5.
    What do you suggest to me? I'd like to have different taste. I read some guys are saying: Orlick Golden Sliced and Luxury Navy Flake are like similar?
    Thanks for help
  2. MakDragon

MakDragon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Carter Hall and a Missouri Meershaum
    5H4N3, MikeInMaine, Rodfather and 6 others like this.
  3. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Aug 27, 2012
    Carter Hall. It is very easy to smoke and enjoyable.
    Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake. Also easy going.
    Orlik Golden Sliced.
    Frog Morton.
    Thuber88 and Robin like this.
  4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Carter Hall would be a good choice.

All of those you listed taste good but I would recommend you avoid flakes & slices until you get a bit more experience. I like them but sometimes I can get frustrated lighting them and keeping them lit even after 40 years of smoking a pipe.
  5. Waino

Waino Active Member

Apr 12, 2011
    You have quite "strong" list if you are beginner. But if you need good smokes, they are all ok.

Mac Baren Navy Flake could be good start to flakes.
  6. Robin

Robin Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks for the Good - Bye Cigarettes article, good read, and a good idea, I don't smoke cigs anymore, much prefer the pipe!
    Tobacco: Carter Hall, most every one likes it, Sir Walter Raleigh, another well liked OTC, to me it and CH are a toss up. Prince Albert, a bit stronger the CH or SWR, but still not bad. You don't really need exotic tobacco to enjoy a pipe, I have some fancy blends from my local B&M, but smoke as much CH as anything. :msty:
    colorduke likes this.
  7. sorringowl

sorringowl SorringowlandSons.etsy.com

Aug 2, 2010
    I would go with:

1. Frog Morton (a good introduction to English blends without being too heavy)
    2. Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake (a good intro to VaPers)
    3. A straight Virginia (you'll have to ask around because I don't smoke Virginias too much)
    4. A straight Burley or Burley mixed with Virginia (I don't smoke much Burley either).

Okay, 2 out of 4 sucks, but, I think if you go with four blends that are mainly one type of blend (Virginia, English, Burley, VaPer), it might make it easier to figure out what "family" of tobaccos you'll like. I mostly smoke English Blends, VaPers and, occasionally, good quality, simple Aromatics (aka, not heavily cased with flavorings). The common denominator in all these blends is Virginias, mostly, but, oddly enough, I don't really like to smoke straight Virginias.
    Confused? Welcome to the club.

Hope that helps (but I know it probably won't).
    LutzSpearo likes this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    Honestly , I'd suggest you start with blends that are mindlessly easy to light and keep lit being that's what messes guys up the most at the beginning . I wouldn't recommend any that you listed for a beginner
    MikeInMaine, colorduke, Waino and 3 others like this.
  9. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

Mar 4, 2012
    As a pipe smoker of just over one year I will let the more learned members respond with good choices.
    I would like to however offer this. Whatever you try. Never get discouraged or frustrated if you can’t keep it lit or get a little tongue bite etc. It’s all about enjoyment. No set in stone rules. Just take it slow and easy and things will work out.

Good Luck.
    Thuber88 likes this.
  10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    CH,SWR,PA,SWRA, avoid flakes, you will lose enthusiasm for smoking a pipe quickly if you have to fight to learn about flakes at the beginning.
    CH is a good choice due to mindless enjoyment, stick in the the bowl anyway you want and smoke it anyway that makes you happy, and its really hard to mess it up, unlike a lot of other kinds of tobacco.
    Enjoy the ride
    ruffinogold likes this.
  11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Honestly you're going to have to do some footwork in regard to determining which methods and practices are right or you. Secondly, a great deal of reading and research. The more you learn the less likely you re to fail, and the more likely to really appreciate this craft.

Lastly, it's trial and error with tobaccos. Some you'll love others not so much. Or you'll love everything, or nothing. See where I'm going? It really is a personal, individual experience. I went from really sticky sweet aromatics to English, to Va's. Being a cigarette smoker, you may appreciate Orlik Golden Sliced. It was the first flake I tried and really liked.

Perhaps some Peter Stokkebye tobaccos may appeal to you. Luxury Twist Flake is a good one. So are McCllelands. 2000 and 2020 may suit you. It may be worth trying some sampler packs as well.

But I wouldn't recommend cutting your teeth on something like Old Dark Fired.

Good luck, eh!
  12. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Jan 10, 2011
    I find SWR has a little more nicotine than CH so I might suggest that. Frog Morton Celllar is a tasty and easy intro to English. For Virginia you can't beat MacClelland 5100. And for a straight high-nic burley you might want to try 5 brothers. (it works well in a small bowl when you need a pick me up or mixed with any of the above when you want a little more vitamin N)
    Robin and MacNutz like this.
  13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Dec 7, 2011
    What rural hipster said. If you're a fairly heavy cig smoker, pack a day or more, some of the stronger tobaccos may work out for you, even in the beginning. Burley often has a good nic hit. You just have to get used to the idea that the nic hit from the pipe is much slower than from a cig because you aren't inhaling. CH and SWR are good starts but may not be as interesting as some of the others, depending on your tastes.
  14. fred28

fred28 Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Whoa, thanks for all your answer.
    Ok, I notice: wait for flakes and slices ( it will save me money).
    Thank you MacNutz, good point you explain on nic hit.
    I will maybe go for the MacClelland 5100 as Carter hall isn't available in the webshop I'm going to order. Next purchase maybe.
    Thank you also for the Old Dark Fired advice. It seem that people are all enjoying the Orlick Golden Slice.
    I hope to enjoy , as my first try long time ago was not successful.
    Family tobacco I like? I didn't try any, yet. So, I'm listening you. I'm just sure about flavored tobacco. I won't buy or try. I tried already flavored cigars (chocolate and vanilla) and it was like to dishonor cigar, I think, like put some Pepsi in a good Red vine.
    Missouri Meershaum, I like the idea, Thanks.

This my new research to have a try on different kind of tobacco, I will know little bit more about Family tobacco :
    • Frog Morton (or Frog Morton Cellar ??? which one, please?) or English Luxury for an intro to English Latakia
    • MacClelland 5100 for the Virginia
    • Orlik Golden Sliced as I realy want to see and try it
    and what do you suggest for another one kind of blend? Not flavored please.
    Ps: sorry for my English, I'm French
  15. Waino

Waino Active Member

Apr 12, 2011

Mac Baren Original Choice for learning. Easy to light and keep lit. Not bad tobacco either.
    ruffinogold likes this.
  16. Waino

Waino Active Member

Apr 12, 2011

I´m glad we have a French here. :toast: (Woody, we need wine glasses!)

Flavoring in cigarettes and cigars is another thing. Many pipe tobaccos are slightly flavored even we don´t notice it at all when we smoke. For example Capstan Navy Cut. I can smell Rum but I can´t taste it. Of course there are also aromatics which are like perfumes (horrible!).

Orlik Golden Sliced includes naturally sweet Virginia and then some Perique. You surely can trust to it.
  17. Marker

Marker Active Member

Apr 13, 2012
    Dunhill London Mix is a great all around tobacco if you can get it. A great English blend to start with and nic if you need it is there.
    Dunhill Nightcap does perique right. If perique interests you this blend is a great start, middle, and end.
    Carter Hall. Seriously try and get it. Easy tobacco to start with and after 3-5 bowls through a cob it starts to sing.
    Frog Morton blends are not the easiest to keep lit. Dry them out just a little. I like their blends but not really a beginner smoke.

If you are concerned on price the MacClelland bulk blends (5100, 5110) are good blends to try out.
  18. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Oct 23, 2012
    I agree with those that are suggesting Carter Hall as it is cheap, easy and tasty and contains a decent amount of Nicotine. The last part is likely the most important I find as an ex cigarette smoker myself. Coming from cigarettes, I find it important to have high nicotine blends or you may end up, like I was, puffing too hard to get the crave. This will cause bite, discomfort and just a bad smoking experience.

That said in addition to the Carter Hall and of your list, I would recommend the Old Dark Fired and Hal O' the Wynd. I also recommend the Luxury Bullseye Flake, just because it is so awesome. :)
    MacNutz likes this.
  19. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Aug 23, 2012
    I'm going to throw out Old Joe Krantz as a possibility. IMHO great taste and it burns well. And, which may be important for you, has a great Nic hit (one of the few that give me (a non-cig smoker) a buzz). I would get the tinned version--I think it is better than the bulk version I've previously tried.
  20. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Aug 13, 2010
    CH,PA,SWR,5 Brothers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.