1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dave Dueck, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I've never bought one of these blends before. McClelland has their famous Christmas Cheer line, and also the Holiday Spirit line. Peterson has a very intriguing version of Holiday Season out this year. Is there any consistency to these lines from year to year in terms of note and flavor or are usually different? And are they all good choices or do you guys prefer one line to others? I'm considering picking up a 100g tin from Peterson towards Thanksgiving but wondering what you guys think.

2. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

I tried Peterson's Christmas Blend for this year. It's a fantastic Aromatic.
    Baked apples and caramel actually come through in the smoke. Hazelnut taste I couldn't find but the other two tastes are fantastic.

Ol Brokedik and Dave Dueck like this.
  3. craig

craig Active Member

I hear the petersons tastes vary year to year although never tried them, and i cant help you on the mcclelland lines ive never found them in england, but the tobacconists i use have their own house blends for xmas.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

The only Christmas blend I've tried is Boswell's Christmas Cookie.. actually I haven't tried it yet, it's still sitting in the jar on the top shelf.. Maybe this Christmas?

5. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

Christmas cheer doesnt taste like christmas.Not a aromatic. It is a very nice VA blend.

I have a jar of Samuel Gawith xmas blend from 2006 or so. This is good stuff and is like smoking all the smells of xmas. Haha only way i can describe it.

Haven't ordered any peterson yet & have a unopened tin of holiday spirit from 09 and 12. I hear both are good but cannot add my .02

Shawn

6. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I'm going to have to buy some, no way around it. Sounds fantastic and right up my alley!

OldSouled65 likes this.
  7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

GLP Odyssey.

Not a Christmas blend, you say? Au contraire. It's MY Christmas blend. You gonna tell me which presents to open, too??? :mad:

jeff394 and Tyler Lad like this.
  8. muddler

muddler Active Member

McC Christmas Cheer is a wonderful straight-up Va made from a different crop each year. So they tend to vary a bit. I found the 2011 version to be exquisite. A mate & I have a little tradition - each December we crack a tin or two of CC & share it. I always buy a few tins each year. One to smoke right away & one (or a few) to cellar. This year we'll be living large & opening 2007, 2011 & 2012.

9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Is the tin vacuum sealed?

10. OldSouled65

Now to find more not awful aromatics :D

Dave Dueck likes this.
  11. OldSouled65

It was fine until I opened it.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  12. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

No, they are not. Just a folded over cello wrap inside the tin. I can fit 4 of the packages in to a quart bailtop jar.

I very much enjoyed the Peterson Christmas 2011. Smoking some today. Have some of the 2012 on the way.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  13. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I got some Christmas Cheer over the summer from a generous PSF'er, but have been waiting for Christmas to try it...

14. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I highly recommend Boswell's, still the finest and tastiest aros around. Also, the Newminster blends are quite tasty and very cheap.

15. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

+1 on the Christmas Cookie.

16. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

It's wonderful. One of my favourite aros at any time of year.

17. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It might seem illogical but I've never been able to find one-time blends appealing. If I liked a particular one I could never, never get another batch and the thought of that would drive me crazy.

Old Codger and Dave Dueck like this.
  18. Morse

Morse Active Member

Yep - I jar these (Petersons special editions) as soon as I get em

Old Codger likes this.
  19. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I have tried Boswell Christmas cookie and McClelland holiday spirit thanks to fellow PSF'ers. I love both. docB sent me 4oz of the Boswell CC in a trade so Iam set for a little while.

Going to buy two tins of holiday spirit, one to enjoy and the other to cellar.

Gunslinger,

20. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Try Uhles Christmas blend 2011, it's tremendous!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.