Christmas Cheer 2011

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by gentimmy, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

How do y'all find Christmas Cheer from this past season to be smoking? I just sat down to a bowl and I just...don't...know. There is nothing very "Christmas-y" about it...I could almost see myself smoking this in the summer. I'd be interested in other thoughts

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

It smokes like a fine Virginia with some age on it grown in my hometown, I'm glad I cellared up on it! 2007 was a good year for Wilson Co. VA's.

3. Capt

Capt Active Member

I try not to smoke them until the have at least 5-6 years of age on them. I've smoked 2005 in around 07 and it just wasnt ready.

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Christmas Cheer is a seasonal choice Virginia crop each year not eggnog, Christmas cookie type aromatic blend; it's a straight up flue-cured Virginia of an exceptional crop and year.

Capt likes this.
  5. furious

furious Junque collector

2011 is smoking better already even with just a few months of age in a mason jar. I have a small bail-top on my desk that I am helping myself to at least once a week!

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

According to some literature I received from McClelland's they said their Matured Virginias are at optimum smoking at around the 5 year mark.

7. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I have been dipping into a 1999 tin that I had opened and jarred last fall. I go into it every now and then as a treat. It is smoking fabulous right now. Sweet and mellow.
    Extremely rich! You can almost chew the smoke!:bing:

Paul

templehall likes this.
  8. Capt

Capt Active Member

1999 was my favorite, I have 1 unopened tin left. I have been eyeballing a few tins from 1998-1999 for about 48 bucks a piece.

9. Scottly

Scottly Member

Don't expect a christmas type taste. Instead look at it as a gift that happens once a year. It is a very good VA flake that gets better and better with age. I got to try some 1997 or 99 dont remember a few months ago, WoW it was truly a gift for the taste buds:thu2:

10. Beale

Beale Active Member

I have been smoking mine? I like it and will continue to smoke a bit. I have some in my cellar and hope to age it, Beale.

Scottly likes this.
  11. Gary

Gary Member

I've dipped into this a few times and it's been hit or miss. Howver, this morning I filled the bowl on a smallish briar and fired it up while driving. It was a HOLY CRAP smoke this morning. Graham cracker taste to it all the way to the end of the bowl. Immediately wished I'd ordered more than 1 tin of this.

templehall likes this.
  12. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

I assume you're rubbing it out? how long are you letting it sit and dry before smoking?

13. Gary

Gary Member

Rubbed this one out thoroughly( but haven't always). This morning there was no drying time at all, except maybe 15 minutes AFTER the pipe was loaded. This has been in a mason jar for several months now. Down to just over half a jelly jar remaining.

14. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

The tin of CC 2000 I opened back in November is sublime.

templehall likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.