1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Churchwardens

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Unforgivin, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Anybody out there have churchwardens they smoke? I've seen a few cheap ones ($35-50)that I like the look of but have no idea of the pros and cons other then it's pretty much a "sit down" sort of pipe.
    They look like they'd make for a cooler smoke as well, but I'm just taking that from the length of them.

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

Unforgivin, don't be fooled into thinking that a longer stem means a cooler smoker, not true! If you heat up the bowl on a churchwarden like any other pipe you will feel the heat on your tongue.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I smoke Churchwardens often during the day. Best ones so far are Walker Forever Churchwarden stems and a hand full of cobs.

4. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I see, must be a lot of people have that basic assumption of them. They say they're a cooler smoke, but oddly enough it's the people that sell them that are saying this (can we all say Bull****).
    I may try one at some point but I really can't see a benefit other then looking like some deranged throwback from Lord of the rings.

5. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks. :eek:

6. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I have a Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson and smoke it often. I use the short stem during the day and the long stem in the evenings when watching the tube. I'm glad I bought it!

:blink:

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

Unforgivin, don't be discouraged from buying one because of my post, if you like them or think they are cool and you want one, jump on it, it will smoke just like any other pipe except it has a longer stem and requires longer pipe cleaners, which cost more for less in a bundle! :blink:

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i'm in. i already drink mead and make my money bashing crap with hammers.

9. JD1969

JD1969 Member

I have always wanted one, I am waiting till I find one for a deal though.

10. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I saw those, a sharp looking setup for sure.

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I probably will before the end of summer. Something for the winter nights around here. I just like to gather as much info as I can before shelling out cash for anything.

No problem, I'm probably going to go for another Grabow or something similar first if I can ever quit buying every tobacco I see when I have a buck or two. :blink:

12. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I'll put in a plug for the Walker Forever Stems here, great way to get churchwarden on the inexpensive yet high quality

13. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

14. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

I love my churchwardens...have a half dozen of them, a Dunhill Billiard, Vauen (sort of a Dublin), Nording Part-rusticated Billiard, Peterson Prince, Savinelli semi-church Qandale, and a Stanwell HCA...in fact, if I wasn't working at breaking in the pipes I picked up last month I'd go smoke one now...hell, I might do it anyway... :blink:

Good buys on the Pete's here...the prince that's pictured but has no buy button is the one I bought...well worth the $84...

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/pech.html

15. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

I respectfully disagree... while poor smoking habits will cause any pipe to smoke hot... if smoked correctly, I find that my wardens do smoke cooler than my standard pipes...

By a huge amount? no... but noticeable nonetheless.

:bing:

16. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I'd forgotten Walker makes a churchwarden stem. I'm smoking his long straight and enjoy it. Picked up a short bent too and enjoy that. I've had my eye on the churchwardens at the B&M for $45 but the cob option may be the better way to go. It's not a walking around pipe though is it?

17. Marc

Marc Active Member

It's a walking around pipe in wide open spaces. [​IMG] All kidding aside, I've never seen anyone walking around smoking one in all the years I've been a pipe smoker.

18. Paul99

Paul99 Member

I do, First pipe that I bought, not good insulation, walls are thin, but still love it none the less and if I can ever put imageses on here I could show you it.

19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

20. piper965

piper965 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.