1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Churchwardens

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CupofEarlGrey, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CupofEarlGrey

CupofEarlGrey Member

Okay, so this is a general discussion about Churchwardens. I've been thinking about getting one but I would like some pointers; briar or meerschaum, bent or straight. Also, what are your current thoughts on Churchwardens?

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

Churchwardens have always looked cool to me, but I don't own one, and likely won't. Not that I think they aren't worth owning. For me, it's just not a practical pipe. You can't really do much while smoking them except, well, smoke. And while this is not a bad thing at all, I have plenty of bents and large pipes for just this purpose negating a need (and really even a desire) for a churchwarden.

But if you REALLY want one, go for it! A buddy of mine has a Peterson churchwarden he likes. Briar would be my personal recommendation as you are already talking about something that handles a bit differently than a standard sized pipe. With all that "leverage," it seem to me you'd be more apt to dent or break a meerschaum bowl.

3. CupofEarlGrey

CupofEarlGrey Member

I've never owned a Peterson pipe and I'm looking into getting one. My churchwarden will most likely be a Peterson as I saw one that I love. I have a Calabash and that's kind of a "sit down and smoke" pipe.

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I have one, a Savinelli with a prince bowl, but rarely smoke it. You pretty much have to sit still and smoke it, and I generally smoke while doing something else. Maybe I should have a normal length stem made for it.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Bent or straight, is a personal preference. Considering you'll not likely clench a 'warden, you really can choose by looks alone. Also, since a churchwarden is the most 'contemplative' of pipes (i.e. I doubt you'll be actively doing much else at the time) I suppose the meer/briar question is a matter of choice too. This assumes you feel the need to be more careful with a meer, I mean.

I own a cheapy 'Czech' warden, briar, 1/4 bent. I guess I prefer the bent, now that I think of it, because I can see down the bowl as I light it. Maybe that's a reason in a bent's favor here. I rarely smoke it, though, but only because that god awful long stem holds condensation like a sponge. If you get one, make sure you have 'warden pipe cleaners at the ready, just in case.

All in all, they are cool...just not too practical. This is not a slam, BTW. Maybe you should check out the Hans Christian Anderson pipes, you can have the best of all worlds, a brand name, good smoking briar pipe, WITH a choice of stem length, as you see fit.

6. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I have a Armellini I purchased here as an estate pipe. Works great, looks great.

There are many places to purchase one, but I'd suggest one of the guys here first. Look for something in an estate or "cheap" to see if you like the style.

Almost any one you get you can also get a short stem to fit it as well. Whether from the maker or as an add on from places like Walkers.

7. loaf

loaf Member

i bought an ex a clay chruchwarden from www.mysmokingshop.co.uk (they do ship internationally) it was reletively cheap so it might be a good starter.

depending on how long you go, you might have real trouble getting it to light, so thats something to consider, and you will need to draw on it harder than a short pipe, especially if its got a narrow stem.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Brebbia "Twin" has a center section that is "optional" so you not only have a CW but also a regular standard pipe........and it all fits into a std pipe sack/bag.

I have a GBD CW staring at me so I guess she's wanting to get her bottom warmed. They're great clenched or handheld but the stem is long and fragile if dropped (tenon snaps).

Of course there's the MM cob + Forever CW stem that many do here (me too! :) mine's hooked up to a MM Patriot now). That's another CW with plenty of options! Less than $30 to get into a cob CW! Beat that! ;)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

9. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

With a warden its all on personal likes, if you are a bent pipe kinda person then you'll like a bent warden, or the other way around. Now on getting one id yell YES cause im a warden nut, i love em. My Savinelli warden gets smoked a whole hell of alot. But everybody seems to be yelling about piratical use of a warden, but then when is smoking a pipe piratical in the first place, i mean i dont care who the person in eventually your gonna slow down a sit for more than a 20 to 30 min period and do something like watch t.v/movie, or read a book (which is very easy with a warden, i do it alot). Warden's may not be a out of the house smoke, but they are a fantastic sit down book/t.v/movie pipe.

10. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

I worked with a guy many years ago who looked like Gandolf the Wizard and he smoked nothing but churchwardens. He turned me on to them and for a while I smoked them exclusively. Now I just smoke a cw around Thanksgiving and Xmas. Churchwarderns are not all that expensive. I would start off with a briar as clay and meerschaum are fragile. Also, clay gets hot fast. Bent is easier to hold over a straight (read less taxing on the jaw and arm).

11. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

I love my churchwardens, I have two bents, one Hans Christian Anderson http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/371-stanwelljpg/ which is about eleven inches and very easy to handle. Recently I acquired a MacArthur corncob and hooked it up with an eight inch forever stem, so now its a 14.75 inch-long monster. http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/369-king-cob/
    For me it is not a burden to smoke, maybe just to carry. That is the only con to a warden, and my HCS fits in my pipe bag if I separate the stem and the pipe. The pro of a warden is the way it looks, the way it feels, and the coolness of the smoke. They are definitely worth the money. I would definitely start with either a Hans Christian Anderson or a Johs freehand Churchwarden
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=72821
    Johs usually has some for under $100, but I don't see any right now

12. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I was looking for a churchwarden for a long time. I was always afraid to pull the trigger because I wasn't sure how I would really like it. I went with the option Puff mentioned. I picked up a bent acorn cob for about $6 and a Forever Churchwarden stem for $24. For $30 it was a great way for me to try one. The verdict? I love smoking it. But, it is a pip I need to sit and enjoy. Love smoking it when I read. I do like some of the newer ones I have seen out there, but mine works just fine for me.

Another advantage of the Forever stem is that I can use it with any cob I have. I have tried with all of them, but the bent acorn is the best. IMO
    Z

13. Hothog

Hothog Member

Just remember not to close a door with the pipe in your mouth.

14. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Haha. That would most certainly be a sad, sad thing. I tend not to budge when I smoke though. I for one am safe :thumbsu:

15. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

I've really been tempted to get a "Forever" stem and wardenize one of my MMs, but it just hasn't been practical to do so yet. Seems like the extra cool smoke would be a nice bonus for some aros and other hot burning blends though.

16. pc566

pc566 Member

ive had a churchwarden our neighbour made me, slightly bent and an excellent smoker. ive just picked up another one as a substitute for that one which i leave at home rather then bringing it to uni with me. its a bent dr plumb but can't comment on the smoke as i'm yet to try it.

i love smoking these when i wont be moving around much so when im outside reading or with a few friends in the park. on top of mine being a nice smoke, it looks very cool, all i need now is a beard and walk around in my dressing gown and ill look like some sort of druid

17. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

cant remember the exact name of the series but stanwell made some very attractive (and inexpensive) convertible churchwardens, two stems, interchangeable, that took it from a reasonably long warden to a standard length pipe. i'd heard they were great smokers.

personally i have a clay tavern, which is as close as i get, because i mostly smoke on the go and short, straight billiards pack better.

18. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

I have a clay churchwarden, I believe its a 16th century style (tiny bowl - back when tobacco was hard to come by), the bowl is so small I rarely ever smoke it though. I also have a 16" tavern pipe if that can be considered a churchwarden as well. I havent got around to smoking that yet though as I do most of my smoking in the car or at work, and a 16 inch pipe wouldnt work out too well in those situations. From what I've seen briar 'wardens arent too hard on the wallet, I might have to pick one of those up in the future. I do love the looks of them but like most said they arent too practical unless you can spend a lot of time sitting around the house.

19. pc566

pc566 Member

i think those are the hans christian anderson series off the top of my head, may need to check that though. ive only heard good things about those too, may need to invest in one

20. rphillips

rphillips Member

That they are, and they are great pipe. I love mine. It smokes long and cool (smoked the other day from mine, lasted almost 3 hours, just pure pleasure) I think the air way could be a tad bigger on mine but even still it has a good draw. I use the short stem more than the churchwarden, and notice a difference in how it smokes between the two. I think the longer stem requires slightly more draw to get the smoke all the way up there, but it does seem to be cooler smoking. Though I am only ever sitting when I use the churchwarden, not doing anything so I am more relaxed; apposed to the shorter stem where I am normally doing something while I smoke it. All in all I love my stanwell, and look forward to trying a few other churchwarden style pipes.

Hmm.... Does a peacce pipe count, 24 inches in length that was a good smoke. The stuff in it wasnt so great :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.