Cigar leaf blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bent, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

I was wondering if someone can make a recommendation.

I have smoked some really good blends containing cigar leaf. I liked them a lot but the cigar leaf was just to add a certain dimension to the virginias, nothing more.

Is there a cigar blend out there that tastes like a cigar? Yeah, I know, if I want to taste a cigar I should smoke a cigar, but I don't want to.

CMAsailor likes this.
  2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I always recommend certain C&D burleys for their "cigar-like" presentation. Burley Flake #3 and "Big-n-Burley" to name two. I've always felt that these do the cigar notes better than any blend I've tried that actually had cigar leaf in it. Then again, I've not tried them all, so hopefully someone will chime in with a good one for you.

But do try the two I mentioned if you enjoy burley.

3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

One word; Billy Budd! :)

Motard likes this.
  4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

One word? Ok, Rewster can't count ;)

McClelland makes a couple of nice cigar blends (red cans) and Maduro is probably more like what you are looking for.

H&H offers Stogie. It's quite good too but not too cigary.

Ed
    Puff

5. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

O.K. maybe this will help - BillyBudd. :D

dwaugh likes this.
  6. Beale

Beale Active Member

C&D Purple Cow.

7. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

123 Mixture is very cigar-like, but not of the Maduro variety. More like shade-grown wrapper style. Not heavy, but somewhat complex yet refined. If that makes sense.

HCraven likes this.
  8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I agree with Kreinhard. Robert Lewis' 123 Mixture reminds me more of a cigar than anything I've smoked in a pipe. But no, not a Maduro.

Herb

9. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

call me crazy, but FVF tastes like and smokes like my favorite cigars. maybe i like my cigars to taste like pipe tobacco? maybe i just like tobacco?
    I just rcvd 8 oz of BillyBudd, havent tried it yet but from the reviews abound on youtube and forums, it's the go-to for cigar blends... not having been impressed with cigarblends thus far it still sits in the box from whence it came for another day of pondering and bag smelling till I muster the courage to go-for-it and try.

sorry, rambled a bit, my point is that I've heard BillyBudd to be the one to try. but if you can get FVF, not a cigar blend that i know of, it's a wonderfully smooth smoking experience, the kind that untill recently I held as a cigar only kind of experience. but, thenagain, I'm new to the world of pipes. YMMV Cheers mate.

10. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

GLP Key Largo has a nice cigar taste to it.

11. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Think I have smoked most of them, my preference is Billy Budd. Sailorman Jack knew his tobacco.

12. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Fox The Bankers is a wonderful cigar blend. It is on the pricey side but I would say it is worth a try. It has a wonderful nutty sweetness with a mild cigar flavour drifting in and out. I know you are on the lookout for something with a strong cigar flavour but I think it's worth trying Bankers. I've just decided to have a few days off from smoking and I can't stop thinking about this one - it's certainly testing my resolve!

Smokey likes this.
  13. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

Partagas in Cuba sells the "floor sweepings" of their awesome tobacco as pipe tobacco. I have not tried this myself, but would love to.

MG

14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

P&W Churchill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.