Cigar to pipe tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MaSTi, Sep 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaSTi

MaSTi Member

I come from the world of cigars and was looking for something similar to pipe smoke. My top 3 cigars were Avo XO, Acid Blondie, and CAO Black. Can some one give a similar pipe tobacco recommendation? I just want something more filling as a whole. TIA!

2. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

There are a few pipe blends that have cigar leaf in them, such as G.L. Pease's Robusto and Cornell & Diehl's Purple Cow. But if by "filling" you just mean a kind of un-sweet richness, most pipers look to fuller English and Balkan blends with a heavier latakia presence for that kind of experience. There's a world of choices there. If you're not familiar with it, latakia doesn't really taste like cigar tobacco, but it does have a dark, rich flavor with some leathery notes. Very distinguishable from burleys, Virginias and certainly aromatics.

You also might be interested in blends with some Kentucky leaf for a more stout, earthier smoke. Maybe something like Pease's Jack Knife Plug.

Anyway, half the fun is looking for what you like. Happy hunting!

OldSouled65 likes this.
  3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

4. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Kentucky leaf, latakia and some orientals I can tell you will like. So, I will +1 this.

5. buistd

buistd Sales Account

You can always blend your own. I've made a blend with a load of C&D cigar leaf, McClelland 5100, Carter Hall, Perique and a tiny amount of GH Sweet Rum Twist. It is a robust smoke, with much more of a cigar taste than any cigar blend I've tried, due to the dominance of cigar leaf in the blend. The cigar blends I have tried use the cigar leaf as a seasoning, so it is barely noticeable. I didn't make a note of exact proportions, but I would say my blend is probably 50% cigar leaf, with a higher than normal dose of Perique. The 5100 and CH just add a bit of sweetness to the smoke and make it burn a bit more easily.

If you're looking for a pre-made blend then I think you will be disappointed if you are looking for something that replicates a good cigar. I echo LifeOfRiley's advice that you should start looking into Latakia blends. I prefer Lat blends with a decent amount of Orientals, rather than Virginias making up the backbone of the blend. Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Mixture and Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme are both excellent places to start, and the PS blend is only $31.99 for a pound!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.