Cigarette Tobacco as a replacement for Pipe Tobacco?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Sleeping Sun, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sleeping Sun

Sleeping Sun Member

So a tobacco shop just opened up pretty near my house, and I thought I'd drop by and get some tobacco. Turns out it was pretty sketchy... I asked for pipe tobacco and he gave me cigarette tobacco instead. I, being a new pipe smoker, didn't notice until I got home. So now I'm wondering if I can smoke it in my pipe, or if for some reason that's a bad idea. What do you guys think?

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I think it would taste like crap, but I don't care for cigs anyway. What does it smell like?

3. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

Well, if it's from an American cigarette manufacturer (RJ Reynold, Lorilard, or Bugler, Tops), it's mostly mixes of mild Virginia's. Not of the same quality, or curing process as pipe tobacco is, but you can smokeit, if ya want. Won't hurt the pipe either, just won't be as flavorful, or as slow burning, as the high-quality leaf used in pipe tobacco.

4. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

There is also the current issue of cigarette tobacco (specifically RYO) being claimed as pipe tobacco to avoid excise taxes. It's put the pipe tobacco manufacturers in a bit of a pickle, since we pipe folks really don't want the stigma nor the tax crush that cigarette tobacco is garnering.

nitehawk and BradNTX like this.
  5. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

Carl.....Great, there's always someone who screws things up for everyone. Thanks for the info, wasn't aware of that scam!!!

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....take it back, and tell the guy to get his act together!:mad:

Iain and BradNTX like this.
  7. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

It might be ok (though I doubt it).

That said, there do exist some dual use tobaccos available that harken back to the time when there wasn't such a big distinction between pipe tobacco and RYO. Five Brothers comes to mind, as do some of the interesting tobaccos from D&R. I quite like Picayune. It's a fine shag that can be rolled or stuffed into a pipe. Strong stuff.

8. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I tried American Spirit, w/Perique. It smoked very hot. I mixed it with PA @ 50/50. Although still a little warm, it's doable. I bought this to try it. You are getting hosed. Take it back and let him know you don't appreciate his in-sincerity.

They also sell cigarette tobacco as pipe tobacco (even packaged as such) in Californistan to avoid excess taxes. It's probably the reason these small baccy shops come and go like the wind.

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

If it is cigarette tobacco, it will burn hot and fast and taste like a cigarette that's been hot boxed.

10. woody

woody Admin Admin

I tried some D&R and it tastes like crap. Like Carl said, it's cigarette tobacco being sold as pipe tobacco to avoid paying taxes. And we pipe smokers pay the price because of the people buying and selling it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.