clan tobac?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dubhdarra, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i get the distinct impression this is the mixture [CENSORED] of the limey types. i looked it up on TR and it seems like it has the same general effect when smoked as the bit where they opened that big ol box in raiders of the lost arc.
    looking at the constituent tobacs it looks like walnut from middleton might be kinda close. anyone actually smoked both? anyone who's smoked Clan have anything else it might taste like?

appreciate any help you can give.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

What's it taste like? Stuff a pipe with shredded carboard, top liberally with pepper. It's terrible. It's utterly tasteless, sharp to the tongue, I suppose it smells all right.

3. Bobby 151

Bobby 151 Member

Sas is right,Mix XX maybe the better tobac of the two,not by much though. :sick:

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Clan has no match up blend, it is unique unto itself. It is nothing like Middleton's Walnut. It is a miz of many different tobaccos and has a topping that is hot and very tart and peppery. It leaves behind it's aroma in your pipe, on your clothes, in your hair, and the room note is pretty strong. I can smoke most any tobacco including Clan, but it's in it's own class by itself. I am glad to have experienced it but would not go out of my way to buy it again.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It was hot and kinda weird . Strong Irish nailed it

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

To me this tobacco's main problem was always that it "smoked thin." Because it was excessively mild/virtuallly tasteless you ended up smoking it to fast and hot with the usual results being a bitten tongue and somehow an absence of nic hit.

The nearest tobacco I ever found to C+++ was Holland House. Both had similar smoking characteristics and smell though the HH was yellower in colour. You could say the distictive aroma of C+++ was the best thing about it - kinda like sweet new mown hay.

If your friend really likes the stuff - then Borkum Riff might make a resonable substitute

Best as always

Gerry

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

That hot peppery side I reckon is dutch-style cavendish (Royal Theodorus Neimeyer's trademark) and used sparingly it's pretty good - for a blend that echoes clan in some ways but actually is smokeable, try sail (now produced by Orlik rather than RTN).

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Your friend is one sick puppy! LOL My one experience with C+++ was a disaster...would rather smoke the grape vines of my youth!

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

well jesus... i knew people didnt like it but usually you guys love anything with tobacco in it.

so... borkum riff or theodorus whatchamacallit from sas. any other suggestions? i'd heard sail yellow, sorta, somewhere.

10. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I don't think Sail Yellow or BR are anything like it, like I said, I don't think there is anything else like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.