1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay pipes: Does size matter?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mington, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010

Well, Old Ted got me re-interested in clay pipes.
    Does it matter what length you get?
    I assume if it is too short, it would burn hot.
    I am really not looking to get Churchwarden type length.
    I was guessing about 7 inches may be be a good size.
    What is your take on this?

(Serious replies only or I sick Woody on you!) :ohyh:
    Kiowapipe likes this.
  2. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Well, when I smoke the homemade pipe I made, only the head and stummel of it are clay, and I can comfortably hold the stummel while smoking, and the clay bowl on it is less then four inches long, so I would say you would have fine results from anything over 4 inches. A six to seven inch clay should smoke nice and cool for you I would imagine.
  3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    I have one with a three inch stem. I can hold it almost against the bowl without frying my fingers. (This while puffing fast on Five Bros.) So I guess i'm saying my experience says only the bowl really heats up.

To answer your question, then, no...size does not matter. (You're in luck, Don!) ;)
    Mington likes this.
  4. Elwin

Elwin Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Well, my experience is limited to the three clay combo I picked up from Pipeshoppe.
    (They have 2 names for each of these same pipes, which I find kind of odd. I guess it's just a weird little marketing ploy.)

The 4" Elizabethan (Shakespeare) was about a 5 minute smoke before it got too hot for me to handle.
    The 7" Dutch Gouda (Caribbean Pirate) wasn't a bad smoke at all. The stem is pretty delicate though, and was kind of hard for me to hold comfortably. Just a bit too thin for my taste.
    The 8" English Tavern (Sherlock) is my favorite. It doesn't look it, but holds a good amount of tobacco. It has a heavier build on the stem so was easier to get a grip on. I think I'm going to buy a couple more of these.

None of these have glazed or waxed tips, so you can get the 'sticky lip'. I wrote and asked them what they do about that, and I was told that I could just keep smoking them until the natural saliva residue built up on the end (sounded nasty to me), or I could rub in some chap-stick or oil. I chose the chap-stick, though I may try shrink tubing on my next ones.

I probably shouldn't have to warn you on this, but if try to smoke these down to the dottle, you could end up sucking ash. I found it to be a great learning experience (ptui!).
    And yes, the bowls gets very hot - too hot to hold. Also a great learning experience.

Anyway, good luck!
    Darkly and Mington like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.