1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CoreyR, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

I have been enjoying my clay Tavern pipe so much that I thought we needed a thread just for clays. Thoughts?

2. jgWatson

jgWatson Member

I had an old little clay pipe (about 4.5" long, not a tavern pipe) that I used to enjoy a lot, until I was careless and crushed it. I paid $4 at an antique store though, so it wasn't a big deal.

I enjoyed the un-sullied flavor the tobacco, similar to meerschaum, and particularly found it interesting for latakia-heavy blends.

BernardLerring likes this.
  3. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

Funny you should mention Latakia, the first time I ordered pure Latakia, I got a 7 1/2 inch clay along side. I found the tobacco much nicer in the clay than my usual briar. Sadly, I ended up snapping the stem by accident and never got round to replacing it.

4. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

The good thing about a "tavern" is that it is so long. If I snap it, I just have a shorter clay. LOL Plus clays are CHEAP. Easy to replace. I am extra careful though. Rather not have to replace mine.

5. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

True, sadly mine snapped at the base :-(. As you say they're cheap enough though, just have to pull my finger out and do it.

6. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I occasionally smoke a tavern also, it's a bit of a hassle because you have to be so careful and I have not found a perch for it to set it down on while smoking, and keeping it in my hand for the 1h - 1h20 it takes to smoke is a real drag, but it really is a nice change on the flavour side.

7. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

They all break eventually. I smoked clays as a teen because of the price. The pipe that started as a churchwarden invariably ended up as a nose warmer. I only managed to keep one of them until it broke in .

8. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

where do you guys buy your clays from?

9. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

I usually smoke mine as the "last smoke of the day," while sitting down and reading or watching a movie. No real need to set it down that way. Just clean it out when finished and put it back in the rack.

10. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

I am lucky, I travel to Williamsburg, Va regular, for busness, so I purchase mine at the Pottery Shop directly. $9.95 each for the long Taverns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.