1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay/Tavern pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CoreyR, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

Ok, I have been part of a few discussions, in other threads, which got into clay pipes and I have noticed that we do not have a thread just for clays. Being as I am a big fan of them I think it is time we have a place just for some chat related to all things clay.
    I have a few 16" long, sraight clay/tavern pipes myself. I started to purchase some 9 inchers but they were the same price as the 16's and I figure that, given time and my inevitable clumsiness, I shall have 9 inchers, or shorter, soon enough. This is one of the good things about long Tavern pipes. If I break them, I just have a shorter pipe!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

3. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

Ya know, I did a search for "clay" and it came up "nothing found." So I started this thread. Sigh. Well, now we have ANOTHER thread to discuss clays. LOL:puffy:

psquared likes this.
  4. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

As I recall the history of "Tavern pipes" they were provided at the tavern for customers -- nowadays they have a bowl of nuts :) -- and then the next customer would break off a bit of the stem for "sanitary" purposes and have his smoke. Enjoy. :bing:

Stonewall likes this.
  5. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

Did you buy that pipe in Williamsburg? I have seen them there before and always wanted to know if they smoked ok, or if they were just tourist things.

Coda likes this.
  6. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

Yes, I got it at the Williamsburg Pottery and it smokes great. In fact, I just finished a bowl of Dunhill Nightcap in one. I Really like it for a relaxing "before bed" smoke. Frankly, I like the clays better than most briars, I just cannot carry them around with me, they are too fragile.

Squatch347, psquared and Thuber88 like this.
  7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I have four clays...two from our own Dwaugh. Mine are of the shorter variety, but smoke quite well. As you say, not exactly a "smokin' while bull ridin'" pipe!:doh::xd:

psquared and Thuber88 like this.
  8. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

id like to get one of those guda clay pipes from Holland they have a nice curve to the stem.

9. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

I have been wanting one of those myself. Williamsburg Pottery used to make a long, thin one, with a real nice curve and a coating at the mouth part of the stem. I guess it was too popular or something. That place is REALLY bad about doing away with what people like. The more customers like a product, the more determined they are that they ARE GOING TO DO AWAY WITH IT, no matter what. And they wonder why they are going out of business.

Thuber88 likes this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

This woman make some awesome clays ! .. http://www.dawnmist.org/pipesale.htm

These guys have some pretty cool ones .. http://www.pipeshoppe.com/

The Dawnmist woman is really a trip in that she makes some very interesting pipes where the tip of the stem is coated in what looks like an enamel of some sort . I just found her site this morning

psquared and Thuber88 like this.
  11. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

Yeah, the enamel sort of stuff is what i was talking about WPF doing at one time and then stopping. They used to make their own stuff but now it is mostly just cheap imported junk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.