1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Clay

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jayson H Bucy, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I ordered a clay pipe from pipeshoppe the other day and I have to say I'm impressed. I ordered the English Tavern pipe and I thought if nothing else, for the price it would look cool on the shelf. I tried a bowl of aro in it last night and it smoke superbly. Really cool from start to finish.

My one complaint is the mouth feel of the pipe. The clay tastes...well like you're putting clay in your mouth. It wasn't comfortable to hold it in my teeth so I had to actually hold it the entire time.

Enjoy JHB

Mark w4mms likes this.
  2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That's a nice looking clay. Smoking them is quite a different experience than a briar, and there are trade-offs. They do smoke cool, they absorb moisture well and don't impart a flavor to the tobacco, allowing you to pick up on a lot of subtlety otherwise lost to a briar. Of course the bowl gets blazing hot (unless you have one of dwaugh's double-walled claydogs, or something similar), and you can't clench them. Many commercially avaiable clays have a stem that is dipped on wax on the business end, avoiding direct contact of the clay with your tongue. After a few smokes, though, the bit absorbs some saliva and other things, and gets a little easier to deal with, and doesn't stick to your lips so much.

Happy smoking!
    Herb

Mark w4mms likes this.
  3. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Give it half a dozen bowls and you won't have that odd feel on your lips. They are NOT a good pipe to clench...too hard and not properly shaped for that. Definitely a "hands-on" pipe! Have fun!!

4. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Wouldn't work for me. I'm a clencher and a grinder.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

the site says to wet the end to prevent
    your lips from sticking to it. May have
    to get me a couple of these. Thanks for
    the link, JHB!

6. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I know I don't have to tell the rest of you, but Jayson , you might be interested in checking out this thread of Dwaugh collaborating with T-Bear with a little input from Kyle making clay pipes. It's a fantastic thread that will make you love clay pipes even if you've never smoked one. I'm trying my first clay tonite.:)

http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/operation-clay-pipe.8260/

7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

So Jennifer...how do you like your first clay? You aren't letting the Don talk you out of it, are you?!? LOL

8. ruffinogoldswife

Never, just got the one you sent me yesterday. Smoked straight Blk Cav in it, somthing I'm familiar with, so I could see if I detected anything from the clay itself. The lighting was hot, but when is lighting ever cool? Once the tobacco settled down, it was sooooooooo cooooool, at times it almost seemed refrigerated. I can't wait to try some other blends in it. At what point does a clay have to rest? and for how long? :)

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Rest it for the length of time it takes you to refill it and smoke it again. You can smoke that bad boy all day long, every day. When you want to clean it, just toss it in the fireplace while a fire is going (taking care not to put it IN the actual fire) and it'll come out as white as the day you bought it.

10. ruffinogoldswife

I had bought 4oz of this bulk VA that was called Golden Virginia. Who knows who made it, just the name the shop gave it. I just wanted a nice straight Va to smoke when I wanted a cigarette. So, I just had some GV in my new Clay and it was wonderful. I hadn't even realized that it had a nice vanilla topping to it. When I smoked it the day before in bryre, I hadn't tasted it. Granted, it had been my 4th bowl of the day, some taste bud might have been a little shot. The flavor rang out clear as a bell in that beautiful little clay. Wonderful! Thank you again, T-Bear.:)

p.s. Should I copy this to the other thread as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.