1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

cleaning an estate falcon

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by idiotbox37, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

i got my falcon and it is amazing, just dirty.

i need to ream the bowl and follow up w/ an alcohol treatment but what is the best way of cleaning the stem? i tried running a pipe cleaner through it but met resistance so i thought i'd ask the experts (falconeer :P ). being metal i assume it can take a harsher treatment. soak in alcohol? boil?

any particular method for polishing the stem after it's cleaned?

thanks!

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Dead easy! Plonk the stem unit - and do not attempt to remove the mouthpiece unless it is an International; that's the one that looks like an ordinary pipe - into a bowl of boiling water with a little washing up liquid and leave for about 20 minutes. Try a pipe cleaner gently through it and if no joy repeat as many times as you have to. Once the pipe cleaner goes through and removes the gunk, mop out the humidome with tissue, leave the stem unit to dry then run an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner through it to sweeten it. You may need to use a pin or straightened out paperclip to get the solid goo out of the mouthpiece end if all else fails. Polish the stem with any metal polish. Clean out the aluminium threads gently with a cocktail stick and a little alcohol.

To the bowl - ream if if necessary and you may have to gently scrape the smoke hole, clean the threads and bowl base with a rag soaked in alcohol and again take a cocktail stick gently to the wooden threads. Polish with any polish you prefer, reassemble and check the draw which should be free like a corncob.

After cleaning the Falcon might behave like a new one for the first few smokes - ie it might smoke hot and wet.

Hope this helps

Gerry

idiotbox37 and yinyang like this.
  3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I have nothing further I can add to Gerry's thorough advice other than enjoy! :)

4. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

thanks!

i'll try to document w/ pics as i go

5. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

That'd be cool.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

As Gerry stated, make sure those threads
    are clean! Just refurbished two Falcons
    myself, and goo can definitely build up
    on the underside of the bowl! Believe I
    went through around 30 to 40 cleaners
    on each pipe. Exhaustive!

Good luck with the new bird!

dp

7. jkstewart1

jkstewart1 Member

I just bought two off of *bay and they appear to have cake on the rim of the bowl. Any easy way to get that off? Also, there seems to be fine cracking at the base of two of the bowls. It's as if they've dried out too much. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!

John

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

I concur with what Gerry said, "Happy Falconing"!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.