1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Clear coated pipes - do they affect the smoke?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DLWJohn, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

I came across a nice partial rusticated bent billiard in an antique shop the other day, and for $5 I couldnt pass it up. I'm still working on cleaning it up, so I havent smoked it yet. I'm curious about one thing though, it has a clear coat on it of some sort, I've never seen a pipe with one before. Its started to flake in a few small spots but it still looks half decent. Would this affect the way the pipe smokes at all? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I thought the briar had to "breathe" to dissipate the heat, wouldnt the clear coat then seal it off and make it smoke hot?

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    I wouldn't worry too much about the clear coat to be honest.
    I've got one Parker Jockey Club pipe, a relatively cheap one, where -just like in your case- the lacquer has flaked off; perhaps due to heat.
    The pipe is still a great smoker, especially Flakes kind of "blossom" in it when smoked! Happy days!:bing:

3. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

I'm not sure where the myth that pipes "breathe" or need to started but it's just that. A myth. You might be suprised at the number of high end pipe artisans that use at least a thin coat of shellac to seal the stain and get a mirror like shine on their pipes. I haven't tried it yet on any of my pipes but that's how the big guys get that amazing mirror finish. They wipe on a thin coat of shellac then wipe it off. There's just enough to seal the pipe and stain and lend a great finish.

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I wouldn't worry about it, just smoke it and enjoy!

5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I got one too. It's no big deal. Smoke it, Holmes.

OBD.

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have a Peterson Kensale that is laquered, or clear coated----very shiney. I try to keep the heat down when smoking it. As far as it effecting flavor--no it doesn't do a thing there. I was forewarned not to work the pipe hard as the heat may damage the finish. Its a good smoker.

7. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

Thanks for all the replies, and thats what I was hoping to hear. Its a pretty nice looking pipe, I didnt want to ruin it by messing with the finish.
    [​IMG]

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nice looking pipe...should smoke quite well once you get her cleaned up a bit. No worries on the high gloss finish...doesn't effect the smoking qualities of a pipe. Just enjoy!

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If it's shellac on the pipe and it's blistering off then its not a big deal , thought it will continue to blister and fade off . Shellac wears off in time and if it wasnt applied to thick probably wont matter . Shellac isnt so bad compared to laquer . I think laquer effects a smoke . If ya dont believe me .. go buy a nice shaped Grabow and enjoy smoking through the laquer . After many a bowl and alot of time , it will smoke cooler .. I dont mind buying old Grabows on ebay , cause somebody already went through the extended break in period . If I get one ... I refinish the pipe . Sometimes the laquer isnt on so heavy and sometimes it is real thick .

10. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Nice pipe...enjoy!

11. tyler

tyler Member

12. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I have a Big Ben Barbados and it's finished with a very heavy coat of something (varnish?, laquer?) and it's an excellent smoker! I think it's the combination of the big airway (filter removed) and the wide/shallow chamber that makes it such a good smoking pipe. The thick finish on the outside doesn't seem to affect what's happening on the inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.