1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Clearcoat bubbling?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CustomDave, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

I was just out in the garage for my nightly smoke. I was smoking out of my favorite pipe, my Pete B10. I just bought some Dunhill Flake and was trying it out for the first time and enjoying the heck out of it. I guess maybe too much. I looked down at my pipe and noticed a small bubble on the clearcoat finish. It grew bigger right before my eyes. I will be the first to admit that I puff too fast and smoke to hot, but I have never had this happen before. So I guess my question is can it be fixed? Am I in for a boatload of sanding down etc? I guess I should add that it bubbled about halfway down the bowl near the stem.

Lesson learned I guess. Smoke slower and deal with relighting more often.

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Remove the clearcoat with fingernail polish remover and replace it with wax, and keep on smoking. It will smoke better without the clearcoat anyway.

3. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

Good, I was hoping there was a simple solution. What type of wax would a guy use for this? Thanks for the help. :)

4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Carnuba if you have it. If not, use olive oil.

5. Indy

Indy Member

I prefer mineral oil...it’s not organic and cannot spoil. It’s also thinner and seems to give a deeper more even finish. Finally (and my sample size is too small to be valid on this one) it does not seem to burn/blacken as easily as other finishes do if you get the flame too close to the edge. I did a quick web search and apparently it evaporates before it reaches its flash point of 140C. I could not find a smoke point. These properties may work together to prevent the gummy varnish overheated oil leaves behind.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yup - sand er off or dissolve the finish with acetone or lacquer thinner (keep it off the stem, I think). Then carnauba or bees wax, or even a floor-polishing type of wax if you have it, or any number of non-toxic oils, as mentioned above.

7. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I have a somewhat older B10 in the Shannon...got it about 10 yrs ago. It doesn't look to have a varnish finish on it. Have not had any of my Petes do this. You must have been puffing pretty hard amigo!

As others have said, it's a matter of removing the finish and starting over. You might lose some of the stain though.....

8. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

Well, this Pete is one of the Christmas pipes from last year. I smoked it again and same thing happened, this time near the rim. Normally I have only smoked OGS from this pipe, but they were out at the local B&M this week. So I expanded my horizons a bit and decided to try the Dunhill Flake. And for some reason this started happening. I don't feel like I am puffing any harder, but I guess it is possible. Oh well, sounds like there is a solution to the problem. Tonight I am going to try rubbing out the flake, instead of my normal fold and stuff method. Maybe that will help a bit. Otherwise I will use my cob for this stuff. Thanks for all the help!

9. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

What do you use to light your pipe? Not a torch lighter I hope.

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

My 2010 Pete Xmas pipe did the same at the rim, 2 small bubblitos (small bubbles). It happens when covered Petes get too hot. Smoke her and enjoy! It shows love!

Ed
    Puff

11. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Easy enough to remove the clearcoat with any of the above methods. It just made the pipe smoke hotter anyway. Best coating is wax, but if you use an oil, nothing organic, as they will eventually rot and smell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.