1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Club Blend, Old and New

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Sasquatch, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Liam, (Dubdharra) bless his fat little heart, sent me a PM a few weeks ago, mentioning that he had stumbled across a very old tin of my beloved Club Blend. It's all dusty and faded, and bears the Swisher distribution marks etc. I don't know how old it is, but she's been sittin awhile.

Here is a new tin (left) and the new old tin (right)
    [​IMG]

open em up....

[​IMG]

Same basic product, but the old one is uniformally dark, and it smells less grassy and more like a McClelland Va/per - kind of fermented but quite mellow.

Lit some up, and wow, it's really quite different than the new stuff. Hard to describe. Recent Club is sort of peppery with a real strong straight sugar sweetness balancing that out, all carried on a brown virginia. This old stuff is uniform in flavor, richer and woodier... something like Tudor Castle, to be honest. It reminds me of a McClelland now. Very nice!

This isn't a question of "which is better". They are different due to age and possibly to ingredients, but the basic flavor profile, the backbone, is still there in both.

Great find Liam, the Sasquatch thanks you kindly for your field work!

2. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

Wow!  Look at the difference some years of aging can make.  Good for you and well done to LIam!

Jay

3. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Nice score Sas! What did Dub get out of this?

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

As far as I can tell, Dub made me real happy, and he's out of pocket about 5 bucks on the whole deal. We'll figure something out for that'un.

5. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

glad you enjoyed it and glad it hadn't gone all rusty or green and fuzzy!

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Well done the pair of you!

Now that I really see what cellaring and ageing can do to a tobacco, all I can say is I wish I'd done it years ago - stll better late than never; I'm working on it.

Happy smoking

Gerry

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

This makes a guy think hard about putting some stuff away for the next... decade or two!

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

If it's any consolation Gerry, I read somewhere that most tobaccos hit their peak between 1-3 years and after 5 years do not benefit as much because the process slows down. I was going to post a link, but it's 404.

:thumb:

Here's a link on aging that mentions 6 month, 1-3 and 5 year timeframes.

You've still got lots of time to squirrel some of your favorites away!

Bri2k

9. Johnny

Johnny Member

Aging is a great thing to do with tobacco. To me most Cornell & Diehl blends aren't smokeable right away. I put them in a jar for at least three months and them try them again. Then they are wonderful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.