1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Cob Bowls Cracked!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Unforgivin, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I have 4 cobs and 2 have cracks. One is really bad but it was my first and I know it was my own fault.

But now I'm beginning to see some hairline cracking on another newer one I thought I was being pretty careful with.

I seem to be a "fast" smoker but have slowed to the point to where I have to relight twice at least, and this cob is clean as a whistle.

So anybody else have this happen before? Is this fairly normal??? :bing:

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

I honestly haven't - and many of my cobs have been smoked outdoor in the fresh Northumberland breeze and have ended up frankly hot to the touch on occasions.

Do they have a lot of cake? I was always told allowing cake to build in either a meer or cob would cause cracking; other than that nothing hits me.

Faulty batch? Contact Phil or Marylynn at MM?

Gerry

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Almost no cake whatsoever. It's black inside but you can still see the kernel pits it's that thin.

All I can think is I'm getting them too hot before letting them cool. But I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over a 3 or 4 dollar pipe, just trying to figure if it's me or something else.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

It is not uncommon to have minor surface cracks in cobs from time to time, after all, it is a natural product but heating them up can cause cracking for sure, Mike don't lose any sleep over a cracked cob, sometimes it just happens. Remember to dry ream with a wadded up paper towel after a smoke and let them dry out good after a workout.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You guys have me paranoid! My Hackert General gets ridiculously hot to the touch when smoking Vaper flakes in it...smoking as slow as possible too. I WOULD lose sleep if I ruined that beaut.

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

It happens occasionally but don't sweat it!

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

OK, that's what I was wondering. IE: If I was an oddball or if it's a general occurence that actually does happen to others.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It was around 4 bucks when I bought it and it still smokes. So it doesn't owe me a nickel. :goodjob:

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

It doesn't happen to me :goodjob:

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I went through mine with a little Dremel barrel sander and took the finish of all of em. You would not believe how much quicker they cool down! :goodjob:

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

That's most probably why they cracked!

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Suuuuure...rub it in wise guy. :brick: :0laugh:

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Part of me understands (agrees) with this, but I don't wanna ruin the finish on what I find to be beautiful!

13. Marc

Marc Active Member

That's wise, leave them stock and everything should be fine and last a long time.

14. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

MM does make some 'natural finish' cobs though don't they? Or am I thinking of some Chinese models I saw online while I was researching them.

I haven't had any bowls crack but I have had the shank come out the first time or so when I removed the stem while the bowl was hot.

15. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

MM does indeed do some natural finish models and I've a friend who swears by them and is sending me one. The "natural finish" should work - after all that's what Ole Mark Twain would have been smoking - the idea of plastering them only came about in the late 1800s

Gerry

16. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Actually, I have about 25 of them that are over 30 years old and get used regularly. I keep a good cake in them. Some will argue this point, but after 40 years of pipe smoking, I have learned that cake dow not crack a bolw, it absorbs heat. It is defects in the pipe and heat that cracks them. In 40 years, and i like a good cake, I have never once cracked any pipes! Not a one.

17. Marc

Marc Active Member

Missouri Meerschaum makes several cobs in a natural finish, the Eaton, Freehand, Missouri Pride and the straight Mac Arthur with future plans to introduce the Country Gentleman and Diplomat in a natural finish. I like the natural cobs the best and smoke the Missouri Pride cob myself.

Cob Tip: Before smoking your new cob for the first time I would recommend you run a bead of Elmer's glue around the exterior part of the shank where it enters the bowl, this serves two purposes 1) it strengthens the shank connection and 2) ensures a tight seal and no air leak around the shank.

I would never remove the stem from a cob by holding it by the bowl, especially when it's warm or hot; the shank can come loose or pulled from the bowl (that’s why I always re-enforce the shank connection with glue). Holding the cob by the shank when removing the stem also prevents the shank from being loosened or pulled from the bowl when removing the stem.

Cobs do not require a cake to smoke cool and dry, the natural absorption, breathability and quick dry time of the cob are the reasons we smoke cobs in the first place.

18. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Yeah, being an X cigarette smoker I think I was probably just getting them way to hot to fast.

Can't beat what works that's for sure. :coffee:

19. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Ah, the COB TIP. That should have its own category here.

Good advice though. I don't want to fiddle with the pipe before I've broken it in or before it needs fixing but good point about not holding it by the bowl to remove the stem, especially while still warm. It makes sense now that I read it. Thanks Marc. Now I've got to get some glue for the one cob that persists in being loose as a goose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.