COB CONFESSIONS

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by 430pat, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

That's true. But as I mentioned in my om COBfession, I only mud the Morgan Nosewarmer. I've never felt the need to mud a cob as I always stop smoking the moment I taste the wooden shank. Many say that these burn away, but even my oldest, most smoked cob still has some shank left on the bottom. I've very sensitive to taste, so I notice immediately when the shank is starting to burn. Thanks for the mention. Scott

2. Beefcube

Beefcube Member

Are you chopping the tobacco up as you smoke or just tamping ?
    I have never had ash come thru yet, I only tamp and draw easy.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

• Drawing too hard
    • Smoking a bowl you don't want to end and continuing to pull on the draft past the time when there is burnt tobacco left
    • Smoking a filter pipe with no filter
    • Burning uneven can cause ash in the bottom while you still have lit tobacco to smoke
    • Others?

Ephraim and Summit like this.
  4. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

The tobacco is packed too lightly, perhaps, would be another reason. Especially with smoking a filtered pipe without using a filter. Since most of my cobs are filtered and I rarely use filters (though I tried them recently), I tend to pack them tighter than I would with an unfiltered pipe.

5. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

I didn't want to say anything because it was a non-issue but I needed to mud the Mizzou I got from you for the same reason.

Mudded it up and no issues since. Damn good smoker too!

Aristocob likes this.
  6. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

I'm late to this party, but I'll pitch in anyway. Cobs are great. Luckily I started with a cob and quickly noticed that they smoke better than briars in the 2-3 times more expensive range when I started trying briars. My most smoked pipe by far is a straight MM Legend that's had at least over 200 bowls go through it since I bought it this summer as a grab bag of smokable seconds. Cobs fill up just by being smoked and are just convenient. There is a reason why I'm getting rid of my briars and just ordered two more MM grab bags.

Ephraim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.