1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Cob convert

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by BradNTX, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I bought a Missouri Meerschaum, Diplomat and a Walker Briarworks forever stem to go with it several months ago. I made the purchase after reading many posts on PSF about how great cobs were. My first smoke with the new cob was nice, but I have to say that as the pipe has aged and charred a little, it just keeps improving.

I love the way I can try different tobaccos in it without influencing or mixing flavors (ghosting). I'm also happy with the size of the Diplomat for being mostly a test or lunch pipe. A bowl lasts about 30-40 minutes, which works out great for a lunchtime @ work smoke.

The past week I smoked a lot of Sweet Honeydew Vanilla and this week I've been on a Solani Aged Burley Flake kick. Both have been enjoyed in my MM/D during lunch. I'm now trying to decide what pipe and stem will be my second cob...

Thanks guys for all the advice and great information. :)

2. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

For lunchtime or quick smokes try the "pride" cobs. The natural unfinished bowls seem to cool fast and mars cigars sells them for just over 2 bucks.
    They also make great testers for a new weed.

3. BradNTX

I love the Diplomat for the lunch duties. I was thinking of a larger pipe for some Burley only action. I'm undecided between the Country Gentleman, Legend & Washington. Of course, with a Walker Briarworks stem. I'm sold on his stuff too.

4. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Ledgend and Washington aren't much bigger....if at all. Great Danes are a bit bigger with the hard tail bottoms on em. I have a General I smoke often. They have what looks to be a giant bowl, but it's a thick bugger and doesn't hold as much as you'd think by looking at it.

Never tried the country gentlemen but it's on my "2 buy" list. :cheers:

5. BradNTX

I get about 30-40 minutes out of the Diplomat. I'm hoping the next cob has a bowl with enough capacity for 45-60 minutes, give or take a few. I thinking I'm like you... leaning toward the Gent. Maybe go with a Legend or Washington sometime later.

6. cmw00

cmw00 Member

The Country Gent is my favorite currently. I like the bowl shape, size and darker finish.

I think a forever stem is something I really need to invest in!

7. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Smoking times certainly depend on a lot of variables: Moisture, tobacco, loading method and "luck" with load method/style.

With my C.G., I've had smokes range in time from 30 to 86 minutes. The bowl volume measures .507 cu. in. The 86 minutes was with P.S. LNF loaded with the Frank method.

With the one "plastered" Diplomat I looked at on my spreadsheet (yeah, I know, but I like spreadsheets), I get a range of 30 to 94 minutes. The 94 was with LNF loaded with the Frank method. My 3 finished Diplomats have volumes of .38-.43 cu. in. My two natural Diplomats seem to have a bit larger capacity at .523 to .553 cu. in. The longest smoke with the one natural Diplomat has been 70 minutes with LNF loaded with the Frank method. As I just started breaking in the second natural, I don't have any data for it.

(Measurement of bowl volume isn't a precise exercise. I measured depth to the bottom of the stem in the bowl and, since these aren't precisely placed, accurate measurements are hard to do.)

I think the natural Diplomats smoke a bit better than the "plaster" finished Diplomats. The Natural Dip I've been smoking the most is also my lightest pipe at 34 grams. With the "shorty" Forever Stem, it's the best "clincher" I own. Any new MM cobs I get will be the naturals, I think.

WyoBob

8. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have been enjoying my 1st MM cob that I just got in the mail on Monday.
    Been smoking it the last 4 nights straight and breaking in with some mighty fine Virginians.
    Gets tastier by the day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.