1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Cob guy goes briar

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WyoBob, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

My best friend gave me the last two pipes in his collection as he decided to quit pipes. I also got a stand/jar combo, a nice pouch, some tobacco and some tools. He'd given me a little Kaywoodie prior to this. It smokes fine but the bowl is too small to suit so I'll be selling than one.

I smoked both the Stanwell and the Dr. Grabow and decided to drill the shank bores to a larger diameter and mud the bottom of the Dr. Grabox as the drilling was quite high. I also drilled the stems to a larger diameter, especially the tenon end. Still waiting for the Grabow mud bottom to dry but the Stanwell now smokes pretty darn good and it's a pretty pipe (though I wish they hadn't rusticated most of it).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jeff10236, fogpipe, Labman and 3 others like this.
  2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I'm making that same transistion, except I only smoke briar I make.

3. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I've had my eye on your briars. I really liked the poker you recently sold to a forum member.

In addition to the pipes above, I have a couple of GBD's that are pretty good smokers but I still think I'll remain primarily a cob smoker but the poker style you made is really "speaking" to me.

4. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Check out the one I just posted.

5. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Active Member

I wish my friend would quit smoking pipes...

Tony Malerich and Smokey Tom like this.
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I have always preferred a briar pipe over any other type for a multitude of reasons. The biggest reasons for me is that nothing smokes better to me than a quality briar pipe that has been fully broken in, has a nice cake, has an excellent stem and has great construction, i.e proper drilling and an open airway. I get much better flavors and a better smoking experience with pipes of this nature. I have tried a cob and meers and while they certainly have their place,to my tastes, nothing beats the briar for a cool dry smoke that makes my tobacco taste as good as it can.

7. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Nice gift! I like that Stanwell.

Don't get rid of your cobs though. You'll likely find that you'll go back to them, especially for Burleys.

Enjoy!

Jeff10236 likes this.
  8. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 Member

Cob guy? Transition to briar???

What are you talking about? How can someone limit themselves to one or the other? I absolutely love my briars. It took me a while to get into cobs, but some of my favorite pipes are cobs now. I'd be very unhappy if I had to limit myself to one or the other.

Anyway, nice pipes. I've only recently begun to appreciate what you get with Dr. Grabow (I love my blue spade Crown Duke). Is your Grabow a Grand Duke?

BTW, just like I don't limit myself to one type, cob or briar, and I love Grabows and cobs and also more expensive pipes (my nicest are my Peterson Sherlock Holmes, Pete Harp, Radice and Ser Jacopo), I also like both large and small bowl pipes. Small bowls are great for ropes and other very high nic blends. I would like to add a Kaywoodie to my collection. If you do decide to sell your Kaywoodie, I'd love to see a pic and get the price from you.

9. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

To me, briar can do things to the flavor of a tobacco that a cob cannot do. Overall, they are my much-preferred type of pipe, but cobs have their uses.

For one thing, I can beat the hell out of a cob and not worry about it. Also, they are great for trying blends with strong flavoring, like Lakeland blends, because no one wants to get that ghost stuck in a prized briar. And yes, they do seem to be wonderful for smoking burley. All that being said, the main thing about a cob is that I will not smoke one in public. Call me vain, but I get enough flack for being a young guy smoking a nice looking briar pipe, and honestly the jokes about corn cob pipes just get annoying to the point that I leave them at home. But for smoking in the privacy of my own home or porch, I love a cob from time to time. I much, much prefer a DGE cob, though. I don't like the wide open draw on the standard MM factory cobs. Just too much air flow.

If I had to choose one over the other, it would absolutely be briar, no question. There are a lot of reasons, but there is no need to go into that, since it's already been discussed. In any case, I see no reason to be completely exclusive to briar, I just tend to smoke them 95% of the time.

10. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I say to each his own.
    I, myself am a , Falcon/Meerschaum/Cob/Briar man.
    And I'm not looking to switch. :bangin:

SouthBound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.