1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Cob smoking hot

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Trendsetter, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Now the heat is not at the bottom at all. Just the sides of my washington MM bowl are getting extremely hot. Will this possibly cause damage to the pipe? Thanks guys!

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

You're probably smoking it a touch too hot if you can't hold it for 10 seconds or up to your cheek (on yer face! Not the other one! :) ) try to smoke slower and easier. She'll smoke and taste better for you.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

What kind of blend you smoking? Va's, in my experience, can light up a bowl if toked carelessly. (Also, any blends with humectants galore.) Puff's answer is almost always the right answer...well, barring odd environmental factors. So yeah, slow down the pace and see if it helps.

4. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Nah nah its not about pace, thats the thing. I smoke slow and the smoke comes out cool, just like in my other pipes, but the actually bowl of this particular cob gets really hot for some reason. Its so strange. Its almost like a factory defect or something, idk, thats why im asked if it could damage the pipe. Because yes, it is too hot to touch, but meanwhile the smoke is cool, and tastes great. And yes Im smoking OGS, but it did it with 3 Oaks Syrian too.

5. Puff The Magic

Will this damage the cob? Probably not. Many of my cobs got hot this summer while I was out in the garden and they got hot (very hot) at times....too hot when I touched her (they were usually clenched and I probably got carried away at what I was doing rather than minding the bowl).

I'd just say you've been breaking her in "Hard"! ;)

Enjoy but slow down ok? She'll reward you for it!

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

6. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

TS,

Do you have others cobs to compare with? May be the walls on this particular pipe is thinner. Just a thought.

7. Puff The Magic

My MM and Hackert Patriots smoke hotter than the thicker Diplomats & Danes. Definitely hotter than a Pride and Freehands. Could very well be a rather thin bowl that's showing the heat and not able to dispel some of the heat as easily as a thicker bowl wall.

I just smoked an Hackert Patriot and with a fair amount of bowl minding........she smooked cooler than I'd ever noticed. They can and do get hotter than briars or meers but the smoke tends to remain quite tastee. Does the toby continue to taste good or as it should?

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

8. owias12

owias12 Member

Hey Trend,

Send it to me and I'll try to figure it out for you. Just make sure you fill it full with some of that 3 Oak Syrian!! :crazysmile: :eek:hyeah:

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I find the cob I just got, a big freehand, transfers much more heat to the outside of the bowl than a briar. It "feels" hotter for the same smoke.

10. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Yea Sas, thats exactly what Im dealing with. Same smoke as I get with my other pipes, just a hotter bowl to the touch. And as for you Charring Light, the answer is yes, a fifteen inch MacArthur that does get hotter to the touch than my other pipes, but nothing on the level of the Washington. The walls are slightly thicker, but nothing exceptionally game-changing. Although the Mac is completely natural with no finish, whereas the Washington has a light gloss on it. Dunno if that changes things. And Puff, no the toby continues tasting great, the smoke stays cool, but the bowl is burning hot. Its almost paradoxical...
    But its good to know that it won't cause damage because thats my main concern. I don't really care whether or not the bowl is hot, as long as the smoke is cool and there is no threat to the pipe

11. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Excessive heat will damage any pipe bowl but having said that, if you still enjoy it, it will take awhile to do so and it's not like it will cost you a lot to replace it when it burns out.

12. Puff The Magic

"Roger" Earl! {cue "Foghat".....Driving Wheel, great song, great band) great words Earl! Some pipes smoke hotter or are less adept at shaking the heat (usually as you've stated, "a thinner bowl"). Repeated "too hot to handle" smokes will eventually cause a sidewall burnout/burnthru but that will take a while. Go look at some of the real vintage cobs on ebay and some have a huge "brown spot" towards the center of the bowl all the way around. Bet that piper didn't hold that bowl much at all. Cobs are so "clench friendly" it's easy to smoke 'em hot and not even notice until you touch her.

If the toby is burning right, and the flavors received are the flavors you're shooting for, if the cob is slowly degrading due to the amount of heat, consider it the cost of smoking and enjoying! I loves me cobs and always have a brand new one (or two ;) ) ready to take the heat should I need/choose to put another into the fold. It's the price to pay to enjoy the best there is (IMO, of course!)!!!

Rock On Trend!

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

13. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Alright thanks Earl, thanks Puff. Im not sure I'l ever see a sidewall burnout tho haha, my friend hated his mini cob and spent about five minutes holding a torch lighter to it with no effect. But im gonna take y'alls advice about just smoking it til that happens, if it happens, fingers crossed that it won't. Thanks guys, The cobs are great though, I'm definitely a fan.

14. rphillips

rphillips Member

All my cobs tend to heat up a little more than my few briars, my Stanwell HCA in particular stays very cool. However, I rarely have trouble with them being to hot to touch. I think its just the nature of a cob to show the heat more but still remain a cool smoker.

Side note: is that a churchwarden stem you got on that thing? Would love to see some photos of just that if you got em, I've been thinking of making one of my Patriots into a churchwarden.

15. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

yessir it sure is. Thanks for the reassurance btw. You want pics of just the stem? Or just a close up of the pipe?

16. rphillips

rphillips Member

A good side shot of the whole deal would be nice. Thats the Mac then right? Good smoker? I've been eyeing that one for a while now but that huge bowl has kept me away. Do like the look of it.

17. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/381-king-cob-again/
    http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/382-and-again/
    http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/383-and-again/

There ya go rphilips. Sorry it took me so long. Yea it is a great smoker. I notice flavors in my toby's that I've never noticed before because the smoke is so cool. It is literally cooler than the air in the room. The whole deal is 14.75 inches long. The bowl is weird to pack, but not incredibly difficult. I'd say it was worth the thirty five bucks I spent on it.

18. owias12

owias12 Member

Trend,

Love it.........absolutely love it!! Nice work!!

Be well.

bp

19. rphillips

rphillips Member

that things a beast and a beautiful one at that. Im thinking of making one arround that length, 14 - 16 inches but I was planning on replacing the entire strummel and putting a shorter stem. A nice 13 inch dowl drilled out to fit a 2 inch vulcanite stem peice. I am thinking of steaming the wood dowl and giving it a slight curve. Anyway, nice peice ther thank you for shareing.

20. rphillips

rphillips Member

that things a beast and a beautiful one at that. Im thinking of making one arround that length, 14 - 16 inches but I was planning on replacing the entire strummel and putting a shorter stem. A nice 13 inch dowl drilled out to fit a 2 inch vulcanite stem peice. I am thinking of steaming the wood dowl and giving it a slight curve. Anyway, nice peice ther thank you for shareing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.