1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Cobs and Filters

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Cygnus, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Well, I recently put a bowl of C+D blockade runner through my new MM cob a couple days ago. The cob's rested, but still tastes a little sour- but that might be the taste from the filter. It's the same filter that came in the cob when I got it. When I bought my pipe, I was told that I would need a pack of filters, as the pipe would smoke really hot without them. Indeed, the draft through the unfiltered pipe is quite free, but it seems like this could be remedied by very slow puffing. They also told me that I could use the same filter up to three times in order to save filters. So what do you guys think? Do you use filters, or go without?

2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I don't use them, and I predict you will get many more responses from people who also do not.

3. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

I own and have owned several pipes with the filter feature, but never use it. I find pipes smoke so much better without a filter. Try slow puffing and see if that works.

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Toss'em, smokes better without.

5. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Iam new to cobs and love them. I don't use the filter. I am self admitted puffer. I have yet to get bitten or have the pipe get to hot. My Country Gentleman gets warm. My Acorn Great Dane doesn't at all. I have heard that the filters can get wet from smoking and this can cause an odd taste. Pull the filter out and give it a try.

Z

6. cmw00

cmw00 Member

You gotta puff mighty hard to get a MM Cob to smoke hot I'd say.

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

No filter w/a Walker stem & I really enjoy it.

8. Stoked

Stoked Member

I hate the paper filters and I wonder how many guys who go filterless have ever tried balsa wood filters, like those from Savinelli. I find the balsa keeps the smoke cool and dry with no loss of taste. I've tried filterless many times but I keep coming back to a balsa insert.

If you want, you can make your own balsa filters for just pennies a smoke and you'll have enough to last for many years. Here's how:

http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/blog/3/entry-2-homemade-filters-for-mm-cobs/

9. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Thanks for the responses, you guys. Guess that seals it. Next smoke, I'll be going without a filter. It'll be some more Blockade Runner to see if the flavor is altered. That filter tastes nasty anyway after being smoked once.

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Lose the filter. Draw accordingly. You'll enjoy the cob better.

I smoke a bunch o'cobs and none have filters in them.

Welcome to cob-bliss btw. I love 'em!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

11. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

I smoke my 2 legends without a filter as well. I only smoked a filter a couple times to see the difference and I prefer tossing the filters.

12. justMike

justMike Member

By necessity, the majority of my smoking is done with filtered pipes, tho my unfiltered get regular work-outs too. The difference in smoking between filtered and unfiltered for me is... pretty basic; whend drawing near the bottom of the bowl to encourage that last wee plug of tobacco to burn, I don't get a mouthfull of smuts and ash with the filters; more often than not, I do with unfiltered (tho never with my meer for some reason). Additionally, when cleaning the stems after a smoke, the cleaners are almost pristine where a filter has been used, invariably they're extracting residue from unfiltered stems.

I use the activated charcoal ones after running trials with paper and balsa; charcoal seemed to be the only one doing any actual filtering when examined after use.

What do I mean by necessity?? I'm almost through post-op recovery from a double bypass in the summer; educational and benificial though it was, it's an experience I've no wish to repeat. YMMV

13. Jay

Jay Active Member

Those paper filters are NASTY might be good for half a smoke, which is how long it took me to figure it was gross but you have had good answers here and you should take the advice.

J

14. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

I do not use filters. While I'm not a huge fan of how open the draw is without the filter, it's not enough of a problem to cause me to use filters.

15. rphillips

rphillips Member

I recently ditched filters for good. I have found much more enjoyment without. But if you do want to use filters, as soon as the pipe cools enough to remove the stewm, yank the filter out of there and let it dry in open air. If you leave it in the pipe it probably wont be dry for your next smoke. Its like a damp rag in the bottom of the hamper, it just wont dry and will get really nasty by the time it does. but really, ditch the filter.

16. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I cut the cleanest parts of used pipe cleaners into one inch sections, fold into a "V" and insert them into the stem with the "V" pointed toward the mouth. This makes the draw perfect for me, condenses some moisture and tars and, best of all, it's free :groucho:

I replace the pipe cleaner filter after each smoke.

WyoBob

17. Edlj

Edlj Member

I use 'em & like 'em. They should not be left in the pipe.If it gets wet change it. I can tell no difference in taste with or without them.They seem to give me a milder,easier on the tongue smoke,especially since I smoke like the old freight train!

18. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I don't use a filter in any kind of pipe, think they are better without.

19. Stoked

Stoked Member

So throw your filters overboard
    There's no one here but men

MEN, It's a Ship All Filled With Men

MEN Lyrics

It's great to be on a ship with men
    And sail across the sea-o
    We don't know where we'll land or when
    But it's great to be with men
    'Cause men can sweat and men can stink
    And no one seems to care-o
    We'll throw the dishes in the sink
    And clog the sink with hair-o

Men, men, men, it's a ship filled with men
    So batten down the ladies room,
    There's men above, there's men below
    There's men down in the galley
    there's Mitch and Dave and Jim and Bob
    And one guy we call Sally

Men, men, men, it's ship all filled with men
    You'll never have to lift the seat
    We're men and friends until the end
    And none of us are missus
    At night we'll sleep in separate beds
    And blow each other kisses

Men, men, men, it's a ship all filled with men
    So throw your rubbers overboard

20. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Once again, thanks for the all the replies. I tried my Blockade Runner again without the filter. It smoked much better, and didn't get very hot at all. However, I did get much more of a nic hit than what I got the first time. Wow, Blockade Runner is strong stuff. Almost made me green. Anyway, with regards to the filter, I did remove the first filter right after the smoke to let it dry. However, my tobacco turned it nearly black. I've since thrown it away, since I don't need filters anymore. If I do find that I want a filter, I'll use up my box of Dr. Grabow filters and go on to WyoBob's pipe-cleaner solution. I love how commonplace things can serve in the place of the conventional devices. I've even gone without pipe cleaners by making my own out of tissue and toilet paper. It works almost as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.