1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Cobs n' Speedloaders

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

[​IMG]

Hang on, therez more below........

:roflmao:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, brown just deliver'd a box (TAD, H&H Anni Kake, Burl Kake, Rolando's "Zone" :roflmao:) gotta go jar sum up! 2LB total.

CELLAR! DO IT! You'll thenk yourself!

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Are those test tubes? I've got to say this is the best solution to tobacco storage on the go I've ever seen.

3. Puff The Magic

They're laboratory sample tubes. Nalgene and a softer plastic top. Work great but they do break. Another suggestion made by Dondi was to use cigar tubes.

One superb quality of these tubes is this:

I loaded up my bowl directly from the tube and needed some "shake" for the top (as kindling), so I placed my finger over the opening but just partially and literally "sprinkled" the kindling on top. Like from a sugar pourer or salt shaker. I like my speedloaderz. Workz best for flakez & kakes (cut & rubbed a "tad") ;)

Fastest reload on the go, or standing still! :bow:

:cheers:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Thats a very nice collection of cobs Puff, one day ill get mine to that point. But im suprised you dont have a Macarthur cob in there somewhere.

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

3rd pic down isn't a Macarthur?

6. Puff The Magic

Oh yessiree, I've got Macs. A board of 3 "oldies" in the "cob collection" and a MacPride "Natch" I smoke, talk about a 4-5hr smoke! Whoaaah, the entire afternoon! You should see me afterwards.........then I got smart and DGT'd the hell out of the next "tower full". I don't smoke Macs often (enough) but to really enjoy it, you need to have a nice place, lotza time, and drink at the ready. I'm sorry to say that life being what it is, those moments are too few and far between. We should change that! :cheers:

:bow:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

It's a General....

8. Puff The Magic

MM General. w/Puff's modded MM Freehand stem (only cost $4 through MM, and I sanded the tenon down to "fit" a "filtered" sized mortise. Great bit! $4! Wow! I'm still jazz'd about 'em. Sorry. :bow:

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

9. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Once i get my #10 free hand cob in and get it going my plan is to then buy a #99 MacArthur bent cob even if i dont like the free hand(just saying cause i know i will)im still gonna get the mac. And i know im sold now i looked at those forever stems you talk about and i found a 8 inch chruchwarden stem for cobs that i just GOT to have lol.

10. Puff The Magic

The Forever Churchwarden Stem RAWKS!

Unfiltered goes exceptionally well with the Patriot, Pony Express, and Mizzou.

Filtered goes with everything else except Freehands.

Forever Freehand stem KILLz on the CCSS! The Black one looks nice too! But you don't have to settle on black or white..........

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

11. Jonny

Jonny Member

Those speedloaders really caught my eye! Great idea, would be convenient for going to parties.

12. Puff The Magic

Itz alwayz a party! If it ain't happening? Make it happen!

Takes bowl loading into the next millium! sort of. well, at least to the next level..... :thumbsu:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

13. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Now here's an idea, how about a plastic syringe, diameter similar to pipe bowl, cut off the end where the needle goes to the big diameter so you can cap it with a plastic cap or cork. Now you have a piston powered speedloader to inject the baccy in to the bowl and also use it to tamp if necessary :whistle:

14. Puff The Magic

I guess it'd work (a saw'd off syringe) but you'd kind of have to watch how packed up it is in there and then how much your pack into your bowl with the syringe. We did something like that in the O.R. with a hemostatic agent called Avatene (sterilized processed human collagen). It worked but we weren't smoking it and I wasn't about to give it a try.

A nice handy "on the go" little jar & cap can be found at Michaels (yeah, I go there with my wife and daughter.......so I look at rockets, models, exacto knives, guy stuff). I found in the craft glue area this card of ~12 plastic jars w/lids (small, medium, large, ex-large) and I'm using the medium & larges to stick a "wad" of ribbon/rough/shag/plug for a quick "on the go" load. Doesn't really take anything away from the load-up, that's still enjoyed pre-bowl but just another quick, easy carry, no-time-wasted way to enjoy the enjoyable pastime of piping.

:confused:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

15. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

You'd need a Toomey syringe, with modifications, for that General. Is that why the #3 has two speed loaders shown with it?

16. Longbottom Leaf

Longbottom Leaf Member

4-5 hours :punk: ? How big is the bowl and could I see some pics?

17. Puff The Magic

The Mac (red) is a 5-6" bowl with ~4" being the smoke chamber, lemme go measure:

The one I currently smoke is 4.25" long with a bowl depth of 2.75" x 0.75 with a very slight cone. I smoke with the intent of DGT'n the hell out of it unless I can keep her slowly simmering. I can only relate a personal experience where I went out onto the deck ~11 and came in ~4, same bowl, same load, wonderfully long smoke. Difficult to relight down deep but with persistence and no wind, it's a can do. A little fussier of the cobs and enjoy smoking a regular pride more but smoking one of these is just so "Summertime". Long, lazy, would make a great "stacker" cause she is.

Some of the older Macs were even longer with deeper, slightly wider bowls. I have a card of 3 on a '60's-ish board (that's all that came on the board) and those 3 make the one I smoke look tinee.

:punk:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

edit: One speedloader fills up the General/Freehand/CCSS completely. Fills other MM's 2-3 times even 3-4 for the pony or mizzou. The second speedloader is just because that's what I had in my shirt pocket that day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.