1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Codger Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DGErwin11, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

OK, let's have a little fun here.

We seem to agree that a codger baccy is usually an OTC. And the typical codger pipe is a cob.

What do ya'll think would be the quintessential codger pipe?

As a bona fide codger, I am thinking Dr Grabow or Kaywoodie.

Let the games begin.

irish2fish likes this.
  2. 1stGenRex

1stGenRex Member

I think we're all Cob Codgers here...even if it's in secret.

I would have to agree with you on the Grabow or Kaywoodie think. Maybe something with the sides of the bowl carved...sort of like this

[​IMG]

But really beat up, and it makes you wonder if the cake is holding it together more than the actual briar.

User5642, irish2fish and glwanabe like this.
  3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Anything brylon with a chewed through stem.

Super K likes this.
  4. DGErwin11

Hey, we're talking codgers here, not crazy people.

Basil Meadows likes this.
  5. yinyang

Potaytoe, potahtoe. :)

6. DGErwin11

BTW, has anyone ever smoked a Brylon long enough to chew through the stem? I sure enough didn't. My one experiment ended up in a landfill.

7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I'd say quintessential in the uppermost crust would be a Ben Wade or a GBD. Then comes Grabow the Kaywoodie. But then again, didn't Kaywoodie have a period where everyone had a KW? They were a popular pipe!

Ed
    Puff

9. DGErwin11

I know my daddy only had Kaywoodies when he smoked. Whenever he would give me a pipe for Christmas, it would be a KW. He quit smoking in the mid sixties and it was mid seventies when he gave me some new ones foe Christmas. Also one year he gave me Meerschaum carve your own kit.

Super K and Jimmy Bukowski like this.
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Kaywoodies , Grabows , Marxmans , Custom Built , Heritage , The Pipe [ lol ] remember that one and Arlingtons . I think Arlingtons , Heritage and Kaywoodie rock . Some Marxman were ok .... the carved faces they did were cool . Take a peek at pipe pages .. http://www.pipepages.com/ ... they got old catalogues and whatnot .... lot of old codger stuff :)

11. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I always think of a rusticated Grabow with the chunky grooves cut in for "rustification." Or the checkerboard rustified effect. Anyone who smokes these knows what he (or she) likes, and they are not going to change come heck or high water.

irish2fish, bearwolf56 and 1stGenRex like this.
  12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

You mean the ones that look like worms ate them, WK? I eschewed rusticated pipes for a while in the beginning because of those things. Kinda scary.

13. yinyang

Ugh-lee with a capital UGH. I hafta agree. Heh...eschewed. You don't hear that one much.

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I'd say that the true Codger pipe would be a Grabow, but only because those are the ones I remember hanging on the wall rack at the Green's Pharmacy on Union Blvd, Allentown, PA. (Not too far from the A-Treat bottling plant).

colorduke likes this.
  15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Check out the care instructions in for "Pipes by Bertram" ca 1950 catalogue.....they advise cleaning your pipe's outer surface with grain alcohol and preventing any chance for cake to build up in order to maintain the perfect pipe. Amazing how thinking changes over the years, yeah? :puffy:

I just came in from a 1/3 bowl of PA in the Savinelli prince to help cake the bottom just a smidge better. First partial bowl out of about a dozen smokes from the pipe. So far, it's breaking in as well as or better than most of my other pipes. I like the filter, too, though it DOES reduce the nicotine I seem to derive from the smoke. Have yet to try the adapter!

Edit: holy $@&^ and check out the prices on those tobaccos :doh:

16. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I am Herb, keeper of esoteric words.

By the way, my favorite of late: balderdash. I've managed to work that into a couple of threads lately.

Ozark Nick likes this.
  17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

"balderdash" is a good word, but not as good as "loquacious," or "prestidigitation" :moon:

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Grabows, KWs, Marxman, Custom-bilt, all bring back codger memories. I don't see Medico or Yello-Bole and think they should be included.
    Several of the codgers in my past smoked Petersons. They didn't look shiny and pretty like the ones that show up on the acquisitions posts. Those things looked like they had pounded nails. Cake so thick you had to fill them with a pen because a finger wouldn't fit.
    Great memories.
    Dan

19. bearwolf56

bearwolf56 Member

I'm one of those people. I have about eight pipes, two of them being Dr. Grabows with the "rustified" effect and those are the ones I like the best. They pack easy, stay lit (most of the time), smoke well (without the filter) and seldom get hot or wet. I'm fairly new to pipe smoking (compared to most on here) and haven't tried a wide variety of pipes but for me those are my favorite pipes. Maybe I'm just an old Codger and those are my pipes, though I have yet to chew through the stems. LOL Beste of all they are inexpensive.

irish2fish and Kevin Keith like this.
  20. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

OK--my "Codger"pipe is one that is my highly prized and cherished Frank Medico. It was my Great Grandfathers handed down to my Grandfather then to my Father and now little ol' me. Out of all my pipes due to the fact it has been through several generations of my family I cherish more than I would even the finest artisan pipe money could buy. It brings back memories of my childhood. As a tiny lad I would sit on my Great Grandfathers lap and push the tobacco down in the bowl for him and yes he would hold a match over the bowl and I would puff to light it and then he would of coarse do the tamp-re-light and I would sit politely on his lap--THESE are things that make this pipe so special as a Codger pipe because those codgers as the pipe was handed down to me paved the roads of my life--set me on a coarse of manhood and this simple little Medico pipe is like a prized possession to me handed down as a right of passage. It means so much to me that if I were forced to unload all of my pipes and had choose only one--it would it--the simple 4th generation Medico Codger pipe. It is pictured below. The one with the blue stem was a gift from my daughter and fiance. The little straight stem beside it is my beloved and heirloom Medico.
    [​IMG]

Super K, slysir, MakDragon and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.