1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

College class pipe?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by IrvEsters, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

A pipe I bought has an inlaid silver Y with 19 on one side and 10 on he other. There is an L in the fork of the Y - does anyone know if pipes were made in honor of a graduating class - my hunch is mine might be "Yale Law, 1910" the font is right but I cannot be conclusive, even on brand - it does have the words best make on the shank so maybe a BBB? Suggestions or clues welcome!

2. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

Post a pic.

PipeSimmo likes this.
  3. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

[​IMG]

Thuber88 likes this.
  4. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

5. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

[​IMG]

dBear and Thuber88 like this.
  6. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

OK - the previous 3 pics are of my new-to-me mystery pipe - advice appreciated.

7. briarhoff

briarhoff Member

That does have a Yale look to it. Real interesting. I hope you learn the history of it. I got nuthin.

8. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

Any idea where to start? Pipephil has nothing similar - the silver inlay is also stamped on the shank so I thought it might be an anniversary commemorative or something - I have stomped a hole through google to no avail and am at a dead end.

9. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

I found this, maybe they had briars back then?

So when I saw people talking about pipe smoking at Yale, and posting pics of smoking jackets in the Yale threads on this board, I thought it was really ridiculous.

Then, at graduation yesterday, every Yale College graduate was given a clay pipe and a small packet of tobacco. The tradition of giving pipes and tobacco to the students apparently dates back over 140 years.

Some friends and I smoked the pipes this evening, and afterwards we all smashed the pipes, also in accordance with tradition to symbolize the end of an age.

Or perhaps a graduation gift for one special family member?

Stonewall likes this.
  10. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

You might try the Yale library web site. A librarian might be able to answer your question, or at least point you in the right direction.

http://ask.library.yale.edu/

11. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I'd say your on the right track anyway, I've seen similar pipes for sale described as graduation year collage pipes, I don't know enough to say for sure this one was made for a Yale student but if the font is the same I'd say its a pretty safe bet.

" best make" is ringing a bell in my head but my memory is a little like Swiss cheese, and I can't recall anymore at the moment.

Hopefully someone that knows more will check in.

12. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

Also just found this one - it's a Dr.Hardy but I couldn't locate info on the date the number is 8306

[​IMG]

13. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

Thanks for the info - "Best Make" was or is a line of BBB pipes but I haven't seen any BBB without their logo

14. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

Thanks - great idea!

15. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

I saw that reference as well - that's what got me thinking about it commemorating a class - the Y is in the same font as Yale - I also came across a "C" in silver inlay on a pipe on eBay which provided support for my hunch. Thanks for your help!

Thuber88 likes this.
  16. Thuber88

I might guess the L is for law, would be nice if it had the owners name on it someplace, and is that collar silver?

17. IrvEsters

IrvEsters Member

It is stamped "sterling" but no number or additional info - is that meaningful in any way? I really don't know a lot about what I'm looking for or at!

18. Thuber88

Well the sterling means silver, it will polish up nicely, beyond that we are both guessing here.:)

19. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

I've seen similar college pipes with different block-letter logos on them, I'd say you've got a piece of college memorabilia for sure. There are a few that pop up on eBay and at shows from time to time

20. Thuber88

I would think we have at least one Yale'y out here in the forums that would love to have that pipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.