1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Comoy's of London in Italy

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by tbiley, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tbiley

tbiley Member

I just bought a new pipe. It's a Comoy's Virgin pipe. The odd thing is that Comoy is an English company but the pipe is made in Italy.

Has Comoy's switch factories from England to Italy or do they operate from both countries? What are the differences between pipes from the different countries?

2. Hothog

Hothog Member

I also have a Commoy's pipe, but it says "styled by Lorenzo in Italy".

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

At one time you could guarantee that pipes made by the old established London makers, many dating from the end of the 19th Century, were indeed made in London - or at least that the top of the range ones were. Nowadays most pipe making firms have merged or been taken over by firms with other interest as well as pipe maufacture and the trade is multinational.

Italy has large pipe making capacity as France once had so outsourcing is actually qite common - these things happen!

Hope your enjoying your Comoy, it should be a good smoker!

Best to all,

Gerry

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Unfortunately many of our longstanding 'household' name products are now being produced elsewhere....it's the same with our pipe tobacco - all gone to Scandinavia :thumbsd:

5. tbiley

tbiley Member

I smoked it for the first time. It is a great smoke and very light on the mouth. I feel like this is going to be my favorite smoker.

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

In a similar manner - I have a fairly recent Barling billiard...lord knows who - or where it was made!, I think quite a few outfits got the job, and I was dubious at first - but it smokes o.k....if not quite looking like the Barling of old standard!
    Cheers OT

7. Legend

Legend Member

I've wondered about the Comoys being made in Italy, especially after I saw this awhile back...

http://premierpipes.com/Grabow.htm

It's the last pipe on the page. By the way this is a good place to get pipes, very fast shipping.

8. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Tbe Comoy Rhodesian bulldog I bought several years ago was made in France. Several tobacconists I showed it to didn't believe me, all saying Comoys are made in England. I had a few swear it must be a forgery, like the Yugoslavian or Hungarian copies of the FN HiPower pistols sold to the Iragi army in the '70's and '80's.

Mine is a really good smoker though, and is one of my favorite briars.

9. tbiley

tbiley Member

Well, I hope my Comoy isn't a forgery. My tobacconist got it from a dealer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.