1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Compton''s of Galasheils

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MakDragon, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I was just reading the history of these blends on the pipes2smoke web site and am fascinated by the tradition and nostalgia of these tobys and their development. They are only available in 100g pouches and that's a lot of toby for me to invest in as a trial thing. Anyone here have some experience with these tobys? I enjoy an occassional aromatic but it has to be light, not a CB like aro. I also enjoy English blends. Any thoughts? Thanks you all in advance!
  2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    Until Moo sent me a bunch in a trade, I'd never tried them - looked good, but quite pricey and for a long while there were some real delays - They are, however, the real deal. Top quality, small batch blended tobaccos. Personally, I go to Pipeworks & Wilke more frequently, though not cheap, still much more affordable.

The Balkan is sublime, maybe THE benchmark, York Full and Regimental are also terrific.

There really is something to the "tradtion and nostaglia" end of it. P&W blends, Comptons, even some of C&Ds Atlas blends (I'm thinking 504) all have a uniqueness and heritage that can't be replicated easily.

It's worth your while to try some Comptons, but be warned, once you've had them, you'll have a hard, hard time finding something else that holds a candle to them.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    +1 on this in its entirety.

Add Macedonian Mixture (for you Balkan Sobranie fans) and Commonweal for virginia lovers.

I think there are quite a lot of blends that aren't replicated. Replacing a long lost favorite is a tough job and, even when you do, it usually isn't an identical replacement.
  4. MikePiper1

MikePiper1 Member

Jan 28, 2010
    It's been a few years since I've bought some of their tobacco, but they used to offer a sampler pack of five or so blends. Check their website to see if they still offer it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.