Condor

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by SmokingRhino, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokingRhino

SmokingRhino Member

Here in the UK the most readily available OTC seems to be Condor (at least all my local stores stock it). Being still quite new to pipe smoking I'd been put off buying a pouch for a couple of reasons. Firstly the reported nic strength (I have never been a cig smoker so my tolerance isn't massively high), secondly the numerous reviews slating it for tasting of soap.

Anyways, I finally relented and got my wife to order in a pack of long-cut (brown) with our weekly grocery delivery which came yesterday. I dried a flake for about 45 mins, rubbed it out well, loaded it into a falcon bowl that I didn't mind ghosting and headed to the man cave.

During the first third of the bowl I could see where people were coming from with the 'soap' thing. There was a slight bitterness that mixed with the faint floral scent was reminiscent of getting soap in your mouth. But it wasn't overbearing, and by the middle of the bowl I was treated to a full-flavoured, almost meaty smoke that was very enjoyable indeed. Even the room note was pleasant and I found myself french inhaling without even noticing.

In terms of nic strength it was fine for me. One flake rubbed out filled my falcon 'dover' bowl but I won't be loading any more than that into any of my bigger pipes just yet.

Now I'm started down the road of Old Ted I'm already looking forward to getting out of work later and sparking up another bowl!

2. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

From what I have read about it, Condor is a tobacco I would love to try. But because of it's lack of availability here I'm afraid I would like it too much......

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Be very careful - that stuff can make you into an 'old fart' very quickly!.....you'll become opinionated, grumpy and 'not suffering fools gladly'. I am however pleased to see you are smoking it in a 'proper' codger pipe, but would advise you to obtain a clay - to appreciate the true 'nuances' fully, a tin of 'Sharrow' snuff for between bowls is an added bonus!. Do you wear a sensible cap, and carry a stout walking stick yet?.
    OT

E Wells, TWolf, ruffinogold and 8 others like this.
  4. craig

craig Active Member

Ive really got into condor the last couple of weeks its all ive been smoking in my alco dublin its perfect sized bowl.
    Still think i prefer the long cut though.
    But hey ted ive always been oppinionated, grumpy and never mind dont suffer fools gladly i dont suffer people gladly but i dont have a sensible hat or walking stick so i think codgerdom is well off for me

5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Thats what happened to me and St. Bruno Flake...

Skrymr likes this.
  6. craig

craig Active Member

Tried bruno rr and it was one of them tobaccos that was ok but wouldnt miss if it dissapeared but that was a couple of months into taking up the pipe i may have to try the flake and see if it is any better .....might pick sone up in the duty free when im in crete

7. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Ive never had the RR, but the Flake is one of the most delicious tobaccos ive ever had...

8. craig

craig Active Member

Hmmm think the flake might be to try although the ouch packs of flake got delisted but theres a shop near me that still has some as its never been a big seller....so ready agrd im thinking

9. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

I'm a little confused about Condor. My first experience was with a Gallaher's marked plug in a green wrapping that I found on eBay. It has a very rich floral Lakeland flavor. I've had this same scent ghosted in a couple English pipes. So I traded for some green pouched RR Condor recently and it is very different. There seems to be a lot of Latakia in there. I'm not griping, it's okay. But I want to repeat my first experience. Which blend/pouch am I looking for?

10. craig

craig Active Member

You are a very lucky man my friend as condor bar as its known is not available in england its only available in ireland but i have tried the ready rubbed. And flake or long cut as it is known as and i find the long cut richer and more flavorful but i have never detected latakia in the condor and i am quite lat sensitive so this is a turn up for the books

11. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

Maybe I'm wrong and the aroma is throwing me off. It's very different than the plug. I think the plug is an artifact. Maybe the formula has changed some.

12. craig

craig Active Member

I have never had the pleasure of trying the plug hopefully at some point i will but the aromas of either ready rubbed flake and bar are certainly unique but it is said the bar contains latakia but for sure the ready rubbed and flake in my oppinion dont contain latakia either that or the casing is that powerful it masks them either way its a cracking smoke and one to be savoured

13. xrundog

xrundog Active Member

I got this in the mail yesterday and had been letting it dry. I loaded a half bowl and smoked it. Yep, that's Condor. I'd smoke pounds of it if I could get it.:puffy:

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I'm not surprised the "ouch packs" got delisted, most of us just stick to the 50gram pouches! :xd:......gotcha again Craig!.....:laff:

craig likes this.
  15. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I plan my trips so I can layover in London and buy a couple boxes of Codor Long cut. It is so nice in a cob.

16. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

What is an "ouch pack"?...

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Craig has big fat fingers and a tiny keyboard on his phone....and he's quick!. but he knows I like to jump on things like this LOL ( + I would'nt be surprised if he was drunk!):ohyh:

craig likes this.
  18. craig

craig Active Member

What ted says is true i was in my garden with a book pipe and copious amounts of cider so yes i have fat fingers a tiny keyboarss and i am half cut :) but afterall i had no work today and it was sunny so garden and alcohol was the prize for me today

19. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Too much peary then...

20. craig

craig Active Member

It was meant to say pouch pack coda but i am quite drunk and the small keys on my touch screen phone get 50% smaller when drunk

just5042, Jay, SteveH and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.